Correct Me If I'm Wrong

Discussion in 'Bucks' started by Old Post Farm, Aug 23, 2018.

should bucks be washed

Poll closed Sep 20, 2018.
  1. yes

83.3%
  2. no

16.7%
  1. Old Post Farm

Old Post Farm Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Middle Of Nowhere
    i am getting a buck in October, i need some help telling what is true and what isn't. i did research and found conflicting results

• bucks always need added ammonium chloride even if the feed has ammonium chloride in it
    • bucks should only be fed when they are in rut
    • bucks always smell bad
    • even nice bucks will ram and head butt when in rut
    • bucks will do any thing to get to the does
    • wethering is the only way to make a buck nice
    • bucks should never ever be washed
    • or bucks should be washed
    i know a few of these are false but i want to see everyone's thoughts

2. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    1. No. You just want to make sure the calcium:phosphorus is correct. I only gave AC for maybe a month when I was confused about UC and how to prevent it, after that my bucks have not had it, even in feed, for years now.
    2. Lol no they should always be fed something :p but I’m going to assume you mean grain ;) IMO it depends on the feed, your climate and the buck it’s self. For ME I don’t feed my does grain so when the bucks are with the does there is NO grain. After I pull them out, depending on condition they may or may not get grain. If they are just a tad thin I leave them be. Pretty thin and they get grain. As soon as they look ok I stop. But MINE pack the weight on pretty easy and it’s not hard to have them super fat by the time they go out with the does again. If they are too fat and out of shape they suffer pretty badly.
    4. There is always a smell to my bucks. Also on EVERYTHING they touch lol but not always the OMG it smells so badly point.
    5. No! If my bucks did this they would be gone and I have a almost 7 year old out there. But keep in mind they do usually get so focused on breeding and loose their little pea brain a bit and not pay attention and harm you without meaning to. I have the sweetest buck in the world! My kids can lead him around with a hay string but when he is breeding we just stay away from him. He ran by me once and nailed me with his horn. Also some bucks, even the sweet ones can get a little aggressive so you just want to give them their space and keep a eye on them. So far my bucks have never been mean but I still watch them.
    6. Pretty much lol I swear the only things the have in their mind are does and food! I swear by hot fence
    7. No! Wethering is the only way to settle down their sex drive but a buck can still be nice
    8&9 I don’t wash mine. There are many people who wash their bucks to show them so yeah it has been done and is done but I don’t wash mine. I want the stink to bring the girls into heat and I don’t want to risk anyone getting sick by washing them

3. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    1. I've never given my bucks AC, but I am careful to give them a good balance of calcium to phosphorus.
    2. I feed grain to my growing bucks (my current ones are both 4-4 1/2 months old), but after that, if they don't need it, I don't supplement with grain, but I do give 24/7 alfalfa hay and/or grass hay. Most bucks do get a little thin during rut (they just seem to forget to eat, LOL), but you just have to moniter them closely.
    3. After rut is over, and the bucks stop peeing on themselves (or at least not nearly as often), on a warm day you can give them a good bath and maybe clip them a bit. Then they *usually* hardly smell at all until rut comes around next fall.
    4. Right from the start you have to teach them to respect you. I will not keep an aggressive buck nor will I knowingly buy a buck kid from one. Good temperament is very important to me. Not every buck is mean during rut, some do lose their heads a bit, but all but one of the bucks (and we sold him ASAP) I have owned were still respectful of my space, even during rut.
    5. That is mostly true (I had one - ironically the same aggressive one mentioned above - that wouldn't stay in ANY type of fencing, hot wire or not) but not all bucks have the same determination.
    6. No, that definitely isn't true. One of my favorite goats ever was a buck. We'd raised him from a 5 day old kid (we got him and his dam as a pair) and taught him good manners. He was the sweetest guy ever! Stinky or not, I love my bucks just as much or more than my does (depending on the doe). :)
    7 & 8. You sure can wash them! It is completely your choice whether or not you want to, though. Just make sure it's warm outside, you don't want to wash them in cold weather. But also, if you wash them during rut, it won't help you any because they'll just pee on themselves directly after. :rolleyes:

Another thing is, if you have a buck, you don't want to run him with your does year round. Believe me, I know from experience that is best to know when your doe is due to kid so that 1) you don't go insane and 2) if you know, it is easier to be there in case of complications. So saying, if you get a buck, it would be in his and your best interests to also get him a buddy, i.e., a wether so he'll be separated from the does, but at the same time won't be lonely.

groovyoldlady likes this.
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes, give a bath if you are going to show.
    A dirty one will not have a chance in the ring, LOL ;)

If a buck has skin issues then yes, a bath should be given.

To settle down a buck in rut, a good bath helps calm things down, washing all the smelly area's well, and all taking off any Doe in heat smells, before introducing them back into the shared buck pen really helps prevent major fighting challenges.

Other than that, no, they do not need to be bathed. ;)

mariarose likes this.
  5. Old Post Farm

Nov 14, 2017
    Middle Of Nowhere
    thank you all!
    this buck is four years old and i have experienced his rut before, he is always so sweet and has never hurt any one. the owners raised him sincee he was a kid and never had any problems with him. to me this buck doesn't stink too bad but my dad thinks he smells terrible. the buck also is totally fine with human company a normal/ semi-rickety pen will hold this buck. where he was when we used him on my doe his beard which is super long could touch the top rung of the pen he was in and he never jumped over even though there were five does all going into heat right next to him. wee have electric fence too.

toth boer goats likes this.
  6. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

He sounds amazingly laid back. Be sure you feed him, even when he is not in rut!

Jessica84 likes this.
  7. Old Post Farm

Nov 14, 2017
    Middle Of Nowhere
    he is, his daughter is too and she looks just like him

toth boer goats and mariarose like this.
  8. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    As with any male animal of the livestock type, bucks can and will hurt you if you aren't cautious around them. The nicest buck in the world can get squirrelly during rut. Especially if you just came from the doe barn.

9. Old Post Farm

Nov 14, 2017
    Middle Of Nowhere
    i had to go into the buck stall every day to change water and hay and the only thing that buck ever did to me was rub his smelly beard all over my arm, right after coming from the doe stall

10. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Most bucks are not meaning to hurt anyone even in rut or with the girls but it can happen even with the sweetest ones. Thinking that it won’t is a sure way to get hurt. Watch a buck when they breed. They are totally focused on that doe, if another doe even comes up to that doe and him he will run her off by any means he can. So if a person just goes out there to mess with them while he is breeding he probably won’t even stop to see that it’s a person, all he knows is something is going to, or is messing with the one thing he lives for. Depending on the breed of goat you are talking about probably anywhere from 100 pounds to 300 pounds of pure muscle and if that hits you it’s gonna hurt bad.
    No one is saying that any sweet buck is actually mean at heart when/if they do this, we are saying that it can happen and the best thing you or anyone can do is pay attention and know that it CAN happen.
    Do I go out with the bucks when they are with the does? Yes! But I give them their space. I don’t go up to them wanting to love on them in the middle of mounting a doe. I keep a eye on where they are at and if they want to come up to be scratched then I do so. But I don’t push at them when they basically have a screw loose in their head

11. Goat_Scout

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    ^ I agree 100%!

toth boer goats and mariarose like this.
  12. Old Post Farm

Nov 14, 2017
    Middle Of Nowhere
    i always have my eyes on the buck if i go in the pen and have someone there to help if something goes wrong. but i too agree with the above. this buck is shy when it comes to mounting a doe in front of humans, if a human is near the pen he will stick his head out as far as possible to say hi and get pets. i did defiantly meet a mean buck, this boy would come ask for pets through the pen then when you get close bite, hard. i never went in the stall with this buck because of how mean he was. they defiantly can be dangerous.

13. Old Post Farm

Nov 14, 2017
    Middle Of Nowhere
    i have a question about how long should i keep a buck separate after being surgically castrated, i own his daughter and don't want him to still be fertile enough to breed her. she most likely will have kidded by that time and i don't want more than one kidding a year from the same doe. we talked to our vet and he said that since the buck is older when he gets castrated we will have to give banamine for three days (for pain). he will be separate for at least a week to recover but is that too short of a time and how much longer after that should it put him in with the does, as a wether.
    this will happen during the spring or fall 2019

mariarose likes this.
  14. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

I think your concern about a week not being long enough for the sperm to die is very well founded. If I find a definitive answer for you, I'll come back.

But I'm certain people more in the know will chime in first.

15. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Well, this might be a TMI moment but when my husband got fixed he had to send a sample in a week later and it came back he was officially fixed. Of course that was with actually checking to make sure so I would go 10-14 days to be on the safe side.

groovyoldlady likes this.
  16. Old Post Farm

Nov 14, 2017
    Middle Of Nowhere
    do you think 10-14 days is enough time for the incision to heal too?

17. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    I don't know about the first one but I have never add any to my bucks feed.
    2, I feed my goats all year but I feed more when they are in rut.
    3, Lol they always have some sort of smell but you stop noticing it after a while.
    4, NO if you train your buck right he will be very careful around you.
    5, Lol ya they try just about every thing to get to the does.
    6, NO if you bottle feed them they are as sweet as the does just stinkier.
    7/8, I wash my bucks it keep the acid burns away and make them smell better.

18. Goat_Scout

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    I think you have to wait 4-6 weeks after castration before you can safely put him in with your does.

19. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I would do 1 month separation from any Doe for sperm to disappear. That is the norm for any method. ;)

mariarose likes this.
  20. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    A month is for banding, with surgical you just need to wait for the few little swimmers in the tube to die off since there will be no testicles/ sperm to possible get by a band or have the band slowly cut in deep enough to stop the sperm.
    He should be close to healed by 2 weeks. Maybe not fully but pretty dang close. It will probably depend on how the vet does it. If he stitches him up afterwards or not.

mariarose likes this.