Corrective trimming

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Sanderlin, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Sanderlin

Sanderlin New Member

Jun 6, 2010
    Hey yall! im new to the forum. been reading all over the internet trying to find info on this. My bucks hooves actually role under and face outwards so he his walking on the side of the inside of his hooves on his front. I know theres gotta be a way to trim to correct this. ive been trimming them just like I normally would so no rot gets in the but now he starting to limp a little on that front foot. Anyone have any Ideas?

2. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Is he mineral deficient? I believe hoof growth issues are a sign of deficiencies. I'd continue trimming and boost the mineral intake.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree.... could be a deficency...and just trim a little at a time...do it every 2 weeks or so...keep up on it.... good luck... :hug:

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    when i do corrective trimming (I have hoof trimming service) i usually cut off all off the overgrown hoof the first time, let it heal and smooth over for a week, then do another trim that makes the hooves look like normal hooves..works everytime and I haven't had a sore goat.
    If they do get sore, leave him for a day or two until he's feeling better :)

5. DRJ Ranch

DRJ Ranch New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Anderson, California
    The Hoof is along way from the heart is what a friend that use to raise goats for shows told me.

When correcting issue I usally trim deep and far back as I can go with out causing to much blood, any cracks or holes Ill clean and cut out that away my wet pasture cant get up in there and cause any problems.

If I get one with some bad problems Ill put them in a dry pen cement or an area with rocks after working with there feet that away they can work down there own hooves a little Ill also cut back on the protien on them that away they wont grow as fast.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Be careful not to trim to much at a time.....you don't want them to become lame or cripple ......when you see pink ..stop trimming.....because the next clip may be blood..... :wink: