cost of colostrum

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by karmouth, Feb 9, 2009.

1. karmouth

karmouth New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    ocala, FL
    I have a friend ,who was contacted by a women raising puppies and she needs colostrum . She was wondering what the going price was . She has no idea what to charge for it . She has a bunch kidding out in te next few weeks so she will have enough to sell
    Thanks in advance
    Karen

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would just charge like it was milk. I think in the supermarket goat milk is like 3.00 a quart or more. :shrug:

3. karmouth

karmouth New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    ocala, FL
    Milk here in FL is going about $10. a gallon . In Ga it's $12 a gallon .She was wondering if you charge more for "the good stuff" colostrum?

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah well 3dollars a quart would be 12.00 a gallon :wink:

as to her charging more or not she can try 4.00 for a quart and then see what the puppy mom says. :shrug: But to me it is all the same work so why charge more for the "life saving stuff' to someone just trying to take care of her pups?

5. capi71

capi71 New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Jasper, Georgia
    Here in Georgia we charge $12 for a gallon of raw goats milk. BUT the collostrum is GOLD!!! We charge $15 a pint for the collostrum and never have a problem selling it. :wink:
    There is so much less collostrum so the cost and demand dictate the price.

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We don't sell any colostrum because we only have enough for ourselves, but I have asked other breeders and they tell me they sell it for $8-$10 per quart.

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I would think that colostrum would be higher priced as there is such a limited amount of it.

I only have MAYBE 4 cups of it total frozen right now. I plan on getting as much as possible of it this year, for the just in cases for me and others around.