Cost to whether?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by TexasRanger, Feb 26, 2010.

1. TexasRanger

TexasRanger New Member

Feb 2, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I'm just wondering how much it usually cost to whether a buck? We have decided to keep Rollo, his feet, thank God, have straightened out with out intervention :stars: .

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Depends on his age and your personal preference to the method used.

3. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    lol cost's me pennies to do my kid bucks

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I also do my own, I use the banding method.

5. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    About $22 for the first one and pennies for every buck kid after that. :)

6. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    We did our first goats when we got them at 8 weeks. We used a bander and that is definitely the cheapest route. It was easy and we had no problems. I guess the initial cost of the bander is the most you would have to spend. I guess you can do a mature buck the same way?

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yep, a mature buck can be banded, using a larger opening bander....the ones we use for baby goats and little bull calves don't open large enough.
    I banded Teddy a week ago and he's 2 years old.
    I've also banded a 4 year old and a yearling buck...they shriveled and fell off the same as a babies would.

8. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    We used the bander as well....on calves. I haven't had a chance to use it on any bucks. It was $13.00 for the bander and $2.50 for the bands.

9. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    If you don't feel comfortable to do it yourself the vet charges $5 to band ours...

10. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    I just did a 5 month old boar cross with a $25 bander. He did not fit :) so I stuffed him through one at a time. That was 5 days ago and he is doing fine.

11. TexasRanger

TexasRanger New Member

Feb 2, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    What is the youngest that you can band them? I'm just worried about doing it too soon, the urinary calculi and all that.

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have had them banded as young as 3 days old

13. TexasRanger

TexasRanger New Member

Feb 2, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    The ones you banded at 3 days old, did they turn out like the ones you banded later? Health wise, I mean. I don't want to sell a goat to someone, and have them end up with pee problems later on. Is it riskier to do it that young?

14. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    When it comes to banding, I think it is more the preference of the breeder as far as how long they wait and why.

I don't band til 6 weeks because I feel that amount of time does help with growth of the urethra but it also helps to actually have something big enough to get hold of to get the band over them :wink: Also, be absolutely positive that both testes are descended into the sac, if you don't feel 2 raisens in there, don't band and see a vet. I have seen firsthand a cryptochord buck and the stress as well as $ it takes to surgically wether.

IMO urinary calculi can happen to any male goat, buck or wether regardless of how late or how early they were castrated, it all has alot to do with genetics and the predisposition to getting UC and the management they get.
    If there was a way of tracking a pedigree on the male ancestors or reports on them for urinary issues, it would make the decision much easier as to when to band.