cough... advice please!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by cdtrum, Jul 2, 2009.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Ok........Elwood has had a cough for about 3wks now......I have wormed with ivomec 2x's 10 days apart.......thought maybe lungworms, still coughing mainly after running......acting fine in every other way, except I think his and Jakes eyelids are a bit pale ......both have had clean fecals per me and vet........any ideas?
    Thanks, Denise

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    allergies or a cold.

3. helmstead

helmstead New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Alfordsville, IN
    If a goat has ever had lungworms, there is damage from it, so the lungs continue to produce mucos to protect themselves as they heal once the parasites are gone (which can take up to 6 mos). Also, lungworm is not always diagnosable via fecals...

I would do a monthly Ivomec + injection to be safe.

Also mold spores and dust create a cough. If you are dry like we are, could be dust - or if you've had rain like our family in S. IN. could be mold spores.

To rule out allergies (pollen is REALLY bad here right now) dose with liquid Benadryl for a couple days to see if that helps.

4. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    I would do a run of Vet-Rx to help the cough

5. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    From what I was told, lungworms cannot be detected on a fecal. Lungworms can be found with a Baerman fecal but it is difficult to do.

I think dust has a lot to do with coughing issues. Is your hay a little dusty?

VetRX is great stuff and I would try that for a cough.

6. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    We have done the VetRx......didn't help......we tried the molasses and garlic recipe and it didn't work either, but I just had someone tell me today that his cough could be due to him being overweight......I never even though of that :doh: !

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    That'll do it as well....any bit of exertion on an overweight body will cause a bit of respiratory distress....even in people. :greengrin: Wether they correct it with coughing or panting, best bet would be to cut his cookies and give him nothing but hay and browse for awhile...as well as getting him up and moving more.