Cough in kid

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by dobe627, Jan 8, 2008.

1. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    My 12 week old pygmy doeling has a cough. She has had it for 2 days but everything else is normal. Her temp is good, she is eating, running around, pooping ok. But she has a cough that sounds like she is congested but everytime I listen to her lungs they aren't congested. No runny eyes or runny nose. Everyone else is fine. I haven't done anything yet except keeping a VERY close eye on her. She is so small though (maybe 10 lbs) that I am sooo paranoid. I can't bear to lose her. The weather here is crazy, about 10-15 last week now yesterday and today in the high 60s. So if anyone thinks I should do anything please let me know. And I am prepared to take her to a vet if I think she needs it.

2. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    When was the last time you wormed her? Could it be lung worms?

3. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

It could possibly be the weather. When was the last time you wormed your adult does? Babies get wormer through moms milk as long as they are nursing or on the bottle.
    beth

4. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Faith was born Oct, 3rd and was wormed 11-25 with ivermectin. All the does are wormed regualrly. No one else is coughing, just her. She is pretty small. I called the vet and she wants me to start her on Baytril for 5 days. Which is an antibiotic. I went and got it but won't start it until tomorrow. I usually don't like to do antibiotics just because of all the problems but I would rather do that then nothing. The vet didn't see her though.

5. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    I wouldn't start anitbiotics if you don't know what's wrong and she doesn't have a fever.

Maybe you should try some whey. It's a natural anti-botic.

Go get some plain, live culture yogurt from the store, and drain the whey out of it by putting into a clean dish towel squeezing it into a bowl. :) Then drench them with it. I did about 4 ccs and my goats got better fast from the sniffles they had.

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Is her feed at all dusty? Is the weather changing? (like a yoyo like we have here)? Is it getting cold at night? I say that because I have afew does that seem to do a lot of coughing in the winter, when it is cold.

7. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Yes our weather is really crazy, last week it was about 10-15 degrees and I just kept saying I hated the cold. Now the last 3 days it has been in the 60s and I have been running around in a tshirt. But its supposed to start getting colder again. No there feed is not dusty, they have nice grass mixed hay. This morning Mcgraw was coughing too. He is one day younger then her. But he has no fever either. They are in the pen together. None of the older goats seem to be coughing. Their temps are staying between 101.7 and 102.3. I did give them some whey. He was such a bawl baby you would have thought I was poisoning him. Could I also do the whey with flavored yogurt? Just wondering since I always have that on hand. Well thanks for your advice. Cathy

8. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Do NOT give Baytril no matter what your vet says. Extra label use(which means use on goats) is prohibited by law and your vet can lose his license for doing so. Baytril is not approved to be used on goats, and I think is only approved to be used on beef cattle or pigs.

The yogurt wouldn't hurt, it would help them to get some good cultures into their bellies. Give them the whey, it could just be the weather, especially since there has been such a big temperature flux the last couple days.