Cough that just won’t go away

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Jarrod & Jody, Dec 25, 2018.

1. Jarrod & Jody

Jarrod & Jody Active Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Shady Point, Oklhoma
    I have a few herd members that have had a cough for going on 4 months now, not sure if I should be worried, there’s no runny nose , had both Pneumonia shots. Any thoughts, suggestions?

2. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Lung worms? I have also heard that if they have had lung worms and even though they are free of them that it will cause scaring on the lungs and they will cough. It might also be dry hay. Have you noticed them have the cough during certain times? Like running or eating their hay?

MadCatX and toth boer goats like this.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  4. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I’d start them on a garlic regimen on case of a respiratory issue... garlic would be 1 clove daily (raw and crushed preferably). If you need directions on how to give just ask.
    A few questions to help determine things, that you can ask yourself when a cough occurs:

1. When does the cough happen?

2. Is it wet?

3. Is it hacky?

4. Does it sound like their is mucus?

5. Is there any raspy breathing or wheezing?

6. How often does the cough occur?

7. Does it get worse when running or chewing cud, or eating?

8. Are there any dusty conditions, especially in hay or feed?

9. Is feed and hay free of mold?

10. What are your current and recent weather and pasture conditions? Wet pasture, warm and rainy, or cold and dry, cold and rain, etc.

Jarrod & Jody and Dwarf Dad like this.
  5. Jarrod & Jody

Oct 16, 2017
    Shady Point, Oklhoma
    It’s usually after hay, very dry , no mucus or rattle sound, had a nacropsy done on one we lost a few months go ,zero signs of of lungworms, feed and hay free of mold.

6. Jarrod & Jody

Oct 16, 2017
    Shady Point, Oklhoma
    It’s usually after hay, very dry , no mucus or rattle sound, had a nacropsy done on one we lost a few months go ,zero signs of of lungworms, feed and hay free of mold. Also this “winter” we are having in Oklahoma is more of a cooler ,weter spring.

7. Dwarf Dad

Dwarf Dad Well-Known Member

I have a wether that had a cough for a year until I started the clove of garlic every day like @NigerianDwarfOwner707 said to do.
    When I feed the goats their alfalfa pellets I just throw a clove of garlic in the dish with the pellets. I also started eating a clove a day when I started giving to the goats, and my sinus congestion that I have had since my teen years has gone away.
    I don't know what I will smell like next summer, but I will be breathing!

Jarrod & Jody and mariarose like this.
  8. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Might be the dust in the hay.

9. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Wow this means so much to me to hear, you have no idea! It’s always good knowing your advice can help others.

10. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I would get a fecal test done for lungworm (yes it is difficult, but possible). In the meantime, garlic daily, and try to get some DWormA formula from Fir Meadow LLC, in case of lungworms. Herbal treatments are always okay to give as preventative rather than a chemical treatment. The spring weather and wetness is often prime condition for lungworm, so there’s a chance of that. But I’d also see if you change up the hay that they are eating if that helps at all.

11. NigerianNewbie

NigerianNewbie Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    Several months ago I came across a tip for home testing a fecal sample to locate lung worm on this site. I wrote the information in my Goat Notes tablet but did not jot down the members name. Suggested was to gather VERY fresh poop berries, wrap them in a single layer of gauze and twist shut. Float this pouch in room temperature water overnight. If there are lung worms you will see them floating on the top. A Baerman fecal test or Necrospy on an infected animal are two other test.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    Jarrod & Jody likes this.
  12. NigerianNewbie

NigerianNewbie Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    Health and Wellness January 2012 @goathiker posted simular instructions

13. MadCatX

MadCatX Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    sounds like lungworm our cat got it same symptoms..i cheeked it out to make sure B and C were ok

14. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

With it mainly being after eating hay, you really have to consider dust.

Jarrod & Jody likes this.