Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by deenak, Oct 23, 2007.

1. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    My 6 mo old nigerian dwarf wether has a cough. He has been on the Hoegger herbal wormer program and there is no rattle in his chest. He seems to cough more when he is running I have also given him Vet RX drops and that seems to hepl but I feel that there must be some underlying problem. We have to take the goats to ISU vet school for care because we can't find a vet who cares for goats. Any idea? Sorry this is so long
  2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    is it dry where you are?

He could be kicking up dust when he runs. Could also be allergies as well.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have a 6 month Kinder who has a constant cough since I about a week after I got her. The vet checked her, and her lungs were clear so she said try pen for 5 days. Did that, no avail. She then said try LA200, that has not worked. I am chalking it up to allergies, cause none of the other goats have a cough and they have all been together for 2 months. I would think if it was contagious, they all would have it by now! :)
  4. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    my cousin's wether coughed all the time here but when we took him somewhere for fairs or events, he never would cough. His were allergy related too. Maybe that's what your little guy's problem is. Her goat would cough more when he ran than anything.
  5. cute kids

cute kids New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    my three ngs had coughs when they came here at 2 1/2 months or so; treated them with coccidiostat from hoeggers that is also for 'shipping fever'; no temps; they were womed with ivermectin; still random coughing, sometimes really deep. after a much needed rain, the coughing let up, and i figured it was due to so much dust in the wind and EVERYWHERE here.
    as time goes on, i find that each of them, the two pygs, also, will all cough occassionally, sometimes quite hard. i have come to think sometimes it is from their HORRENDOUS table manners........i think they choke a bit on the feed as they do their piggy thing as this occurs also at feeding when they are pushing one another out of the way. now i see, as the months pass, that each of them will cough sometimes and that it isn't illness but random episodes.
    yours might be doing similar things: dust, food fights, just 'down the wrong pipe' swallowing corrections. as long as they have no fever and do everything else ok, i think it is ok to just observe.
  6. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    If you give some benedryl and that helps, it's allergies. Do check the heartbeat and make sure it sounds good. One of ours coughed alot and breathed heavy - her heart was malformed somehow. There was no rhythem when we listened.
  7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Goats can cough for any reason just like us. We cough if something is in our throats, if we swallow wrong, if we have a tickle, if it is dusty, allergies. So what you need to watch for is, is it all the time? What are they doing when they cough? I couch right now because my asthma is kicking my butt. Hopefully that is NOT the reason. Some hay is dusty, and if you had your face in that dusty hay, you would cough also.
    All I am saying is think about what hey are doing. If you have no other reason then I would say check for lung worms.
  8. Goatherder

Goatherder New Member

2 of mine were coughing a lot and the others weren't so I wormed the 2 who were coughing with ivemectin thinking it might be lung worms and the cough went away. :D
  9. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    it has been raining here for four days & nights now & very hard so my goats will not go out side. since they have been in the barn for so long some have a cough. some will do it if it is dry,some if it is damp & some for no reason at all except to worry us.
  10. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    Thanks so much for all of the advice. Leo seems to be doing better--I think it also may have something to do with the gravel road that we live on. The way some people drive it seems like we are in the middle of a dust storm.
  11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    oh that is no fun, but certainly would explain the issue