The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1 year old ND and she's had a cough over a month now. I took her to the vet a few weeks ago. She has no fever and eats fine. The vet didn't seem to knw much about goats (had to ask me the gestation time for goats eek) he gave deworm said she might have lungworm and had me give her penicillin im injections I guess to cover her if she had infection? She's still coughing. Not sure if I want to go back to him. Any suggestions? (She may b a couple months pregnant but not sure)

·
14,615 Posts
Good, that should take care of any lung worms.
How many doses & how many times?
A second dose should be given 10 days after the 1st one. If they arestilll coughing you can even do a third dose in another 10.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow he didn't even tell me that about redosing 10 days later. Do I redose my 3 other goats too? I have one doe due to kid any day now. He did say to dose her and others after she kids.

·
14,615 Posts
Vet got that right, yes worm her the day she kids, soon after they've all settled in & had their first few meals.
Then hit her again 10 days later to kill any hatches.
When a goat is under high stress as in kidding, it causes parasites to bloom.
Orally at the rate of 1cc pr 33lb, some folks use more.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But the one who has the cough isn't the one who is going to kid soon. Do I wait till the other doe kids first? Or dose the one w the cough now

·
Registered
31,446 Posts
I agree with nancy..I dose 3 times 10 days apart then once more in 30 days to get a good cover..Ivomec is safe for pregnant goat as is Ivomec plus...I give 1 cc per 40# sub q..

·
Registered
31,446 Posts
on your pregnant doe..if she has at least 10 days before kidding then yes..dose now and then after...but if she is due any day..then wait and dose after..like Nancy said..after everything has settled and she as had a good meal

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank u so much! Sure appreciate the advise. Only thing is I've given sub q and I don't think I'm doing it right. 2 of them still have lumps where I injected them. I have no problem doing it to dogs but goat skin sure is different. Is there an oral I can give?

·
Registered
31,446 Posts
its ok...lumps happen...they should go away....I like to give sub q just where the kneck meets the body (learned that here) there is a good amount of skin there..just tent it and go for it....here is my reason for never doing injecable or pour ons as oral...
http://goat-link.com/content/view/58/46/#.Uan63GSDQxc

·
Registered
31,446 Posts
Vabazen is an oral medication...but can not be used on bred Does....the link I sent you has information on that wormer as well...Best wishes

1 - 13 of 13 Posts