Coughing after being bottle fed!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by AngelGoats, Jan 28, 2010.

1. AngelGoats

AngelGoats New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Ok, my 3 week old nubian buckling keeps coughing thru and especially after being bottle fed. He is doing this while attacking the bottle like the milk is not coming out fast enough, but believe me it is! Then when the bottle is sucked dry he continues to cough for a few minutes. Then he goes off playing jumpin around happy as all get up. He does this with every single bottle, since I got him at 1 week old. I have tried, warm bottles and cold bottles, still coughs. Any ideas, is there something I should be worried about? :?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    he is eating to fast. Bottle babies are like that --- as long as he doesnt aspirate he should be fine

3. AngelGoats

AngelGoats New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Thanks, but how do I know if he aspirates? Dumb question, what is aspirate?

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    gets fluid in his lungs

If he aspirates he will cough and cough like you would if you have water or juice go down "the wrong pipe" - its the bodies response to the drowning feeling.

It will be a different cough. If that does happen then you will want to watch him for signs of aspirated pneumonia

5. AngelGoats

AngelGoats New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Ok, thanks so much, I love this site!

6. You could also use a smaller nipple or a nipple with a smaller hole for now and that should slow him down some.

7. AngelGoats

AngelGoats New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    That is what I was planning, I am running to the feed store this afternoon! Thanks!

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with the others...make sure the hole isn't to big....it allows to much to come out at once and that is when coughing can occur .... :hug:

9. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    It's not unusual for Sweet Pea to cough once in a while after a bottle, she even hiccups sometimes. Trying to slow her down just makes her more determined and makes feeding more of chore. She'll start ramming the bottle if it doesn't come out fast enough to suit her.

10. AngelGoats

AngelGoats New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I just wanted to say thanks, got new nipples with smaller holes, more frtustating for him, but no more coughing! Thanks!

11. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Great! Yeah, not uncommon for bottle kids to do that...they just get so excited about their food. lol

12. wayne&bernice

wayne&bernice New Member

Jul 19, 2012
    YES!! My little goat Hollie does that every time she feeds. She's about 4-5 weeks old, and she coughs 2-4 times after eating and it sounds like she's got phlegm. Is that also because she's getting to much milk at once?? Help-Im so worried!!:(:

13. DixiesMomma

DixiesMomma New Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Bristow, Oklahoma
    I have a 1 week old preemie Nigerian dwarf baby. And she coughs during and after bottle feeding as well. A friend who raises goats told me to "burp" her on her side by her lung and she would cough stuff up. But she use to only respond on her right side and now its both sides and more frequent. Is this normal?

14. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

No. She is getting milk in her lungs. What nipple are you using?