The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all it’s me again. I think my pet wether I bought it just trying to kill himself. After the antibiotics he seems to be lazy and not eat. Last night and today I have given him 2 shots of 3 ml B12 complex. Plus 5cc of probiotic paste each day. Now he is coughing a lot, has thick chunky yellow snot, smells like gross snotty smell and has a temp of 105. I know there is some fluctuation in thermometers but I still think he is running fever. He is eating some but mostly laying. He does seem to shake his ears a lot like there is something in them. Once again not sure what to do. Pics are of the snot.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Listen to his lungs/ chest. How is his breathing. is it rattly? I would say you are dealing with pnemonia. Ask your vet for some banamine and nuflor for him.
So I listened to his lungs and he had a little fluttering but not a ton. I did just notice now that he had brown streaks in his stool. Could worms have exploded due to the antibiotics?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Yes, listen well first identify rumen sounds then listen for breathing sounds so they can be told apart from one another.
If you can get draxxin from your vet it's good for pneumonia and banamine for the fever

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like you potentially have pneumonia and parasite problems.
I called the vet and they said to deworm him and just check up on him. Tonight he did seem to be a little better but tired out easily. So hopefully the next few days he will get better. Would I continue vitamin B complex and probiotics daily?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
didn't seem super worried yet.
hmm. pnemonia isnt going to clear up on ts own so i dont know why thet arent worried "yet" you dont want it to get bad, or it will be hard to treat. Obviously, its not your fault,he wont give you the antibiotics, im just kinda shocked.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmm. pnemonia isnt going to clear up on ts own so i dont know why thet arent worried "yet" you dont want it to get bad, or it will be hard to treat. Obviously, its not your fault,he wont give you the antibiotics, im just kinda shocked.
Maybe they want to see him first but I can't really afford another visit at this moment.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Which antibiotics were previously used at what dose and how long?
Dewormer is: Panacur (fenbendazole)
Antibiotic is: flunixin meglumine/Banami
I'm pretty sure it was 3 ml and behind the ear. This was done last Tuesday and agin Saturday.
If any of those mean anything cause they don't really to me.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Ahh ok I still have that.sorry still learning. Here is the receipt I got from the vet is what I am going off of.
So do you have any of the things on that receipt?
Banamine dosage is 1cc/100lbs IM (intramuscular) or SQ (subcutaneous)
Excede is the antibiotic

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So do you have any of the things on that receipt?
Banamine dosage is 1cc/100lbs IM (intramuscular) or SQ (subcutaneous)
Excede is the antibiotic
It is a drench I got. So the vet told me to give at 250 pounds on the scroller. Texas is about 220ish.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
It is a drench I got. So the vet told me to give at 250 pounds on the scroller. Texas is about 220ish.
Sorry, but I don't understand. By "drench" do you mean Panacur?
Does he still have a fever?

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Alrighty so see on that vet receipt where it says EXCEDE? That's the antibiotic. It has a number 4 next to it. So you're saying he had the excede injection Tuesday and Saturday? And maybe the vet sent you home with two additional syringes?

Excede is a pretty serious antibiotic and I'm surprise your goat is not feeling better after the two doses. I would give the third dose of Excede today if you have it.

But you also really need to get your hands on another couple injections of Banamine if his temperature is staying around 105 *F. The Banamine is pain killer and fever reducer. Do you have any horse-owning friends that may have a bottle of Banamine on hand?

The Panacur horse paste is a dewormer which your vet must have determined he was also struggling with parasites. Personally I don't think the dosage your veterinarian told you to use is high enough for goats. Are you familiar with "FAMACHA" scoring or checking the inner eyelid of the goat for anemia?

Continue the Probiotics and B-Complex injections daily.

Offer him flavored water (put Karo or Molasses or Kool-Aid or something in it) alongside plain water. You need to keep him eating, even go cut leafy branches or pine boughs and keep them in front of him if needed.

Keep up the hard work, I know it's confusing when you are learning all this! Fingers crossed for King.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts