Coughing Doe

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by TinyHoovesRanch, Mar 18, 2010.

1. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Ok so my doe Jenny has a problem. Shes up to date on her shots and worming. Everytime I pull her collar, even just barely she coughs. I know her collar isnt tight and I dont even pull hard, but shes starting to scare me since now she does it even when I move her out of my way. Any ideas whats wrong?

2. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Mine cough, gag, spit, and sputter if I pull on their lead if they don't want to walk. Its their way of saying I am not going where you want me to.

You can feel along her throat to see if you feel any kind of obstructions. Maybe give her a treat and feel as she swallows it. You can also carefully look into her mouth to see if you can see anything.

3. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    It sounds like she just has a very sensitive trachea. :laugh:

Does she cough all the time or just when you pull her collar? If she cough all the time have your vet check her for lungworms. If she just coughs when you pull her collar I think she has a sensitive trachea which is not uncommon :greengrin:

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree :hug:

5. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    My younger girl usually followed the wether (who was trained to a leash) but every now and then she wanted to go her own way. Of course, she lost b/c i'm stronger. So one day she laid down flat on her side to stop me from going further. I waited a moment, she popped back up, i gave a tug and she laid down again. After a few go-rounds of this, i scooped her up and carried her where i wanted her to go. I don't know who lost that round. :laugh:

6. TinyHoovesRanch

she only coughs when I pull her, other than that shes fine. It just worrys me that shes hurt or something lol but now I feel better

7. elaine

elaine Member

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Would she maybe be better with a little halter on or if shes a tiny goat a little dog harness, that way if she is sensitive around the neck you wont be touching it : )

8. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    I agree with elaine . . . if you are worried about hurting her when you pull her collar (and it probably isn't comfortable for her if her trachea is that sensitive) then a halter seems like a good investment. She might have to get used to it, but I trained my 2-year-old wether to wear a goat halter in about 3 days. I used raisins as treats and whenever I put the halter on him I would give him one raisin when he looked at me like "what is happening!!??" and then I would take it off. After a few tries I left it on him for a few minutes longer and I watched him walk around and when I saw him spend a whole minute or two not worrying or messing with the halter I would "JACKPOT" him with raisins (give him a whole handful of raisins and praise him). Don't give her so many treats that she bloats, but give her enough to know that you like her reaction ;)

jeffer's livestock catalog has goat halters in various sizes:
    http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.a ... f_id=16776

9. TinyHoovesRanch

OK thanks!!! Any ideas where I can buy a small halter? Shes a nigerian so shes a small breed

10. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
  11. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    The small halters at Jeffers are larger than one would thing. I got the small and the medium. The medium one fits the buck and the small one fits my Nubian and Snubian goats. I would think they would be waaay too big for a Nigerian.