Coughing Goat Medicine

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by moday, Feb 8, 2009.

1. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    A number or you guys replied about treating for worms for my coughing Wether (3/4 Boer, 1/4 Alpine).

I treated him yesterday with the med that I bought last Fall. It's called "Safeguard" and the main med is FENBENDAZOLE. Is this good stuff for possible lung worms? I know that there is also Valbezina and Ivomectin (spellings?) on the market, but I bought the Safeguard at TSC.

Also, will this med help the Pasturella, or what do you do for that?

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    NO Safeguard will NOT work for Lungworm. It has to be Ivermectin. That is all that will work. Is this wether still coughing? If so get some ivermectin injectable and dose her orally.

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Pasteurella needs to be treated with an antibiotic and then given the Pasteurella vaccination for it. There is an awesome thread someone put up here on TGS. Here it is: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1425

I agree with sweetgoats. Safeguard will not treat lungworms. In most areas, it is totally ineffective anymore. You also need to triple the dosage for goats (same goes for any other wormer). You could give Valbazen or Ivomec. I do Valbazen 1cc per 22 lbs. orally. Ivomec 1cc per 50 lbs. orally. Some people dose differently though, but this works for us.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    chances are you goat doesnt have pasturella as that is a "silent" pneumonia and you hardly ever see signs of it.

Safeguard will kill tapeworms but not lungworms. Get some ivermectin either injectable or horse paste. If you use horse paste make sure you triple the goats weight before you figure out the dosage.