Coughing goaties

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by kelebek, Jun 11, 2008.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have a couple goats that I can not get to quit coughing. This started over the long nasty winter. None of them coughed before hand.

All goats are eating / drinking / acting normal. Dry cough (like hacking up a fur ball) chest sounds clear. No occular or nasal discharge.

Do not have temps.

Gum color and eye lid color good.

Treated with Ivomec plus injection 5 weeks ago.

What would you all reccomend???? :shrug: :shrug:

I changed hay thinking that it might be dust from the hay - but I just changed it the last couple weeks.

Thanks
    Allison

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    What dosage of Ivomec + did you worm them with?

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    1cc per 110# and I did injection.

I asked the vet if she prefers giving it oral or injection - and she wanted me to give it injectable.

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I don't have any experience giving it SQ.

I don't ask my vet about it because they only go with what is "approved" for goats. :roll:

I have been giving mine 1cc per 20lbs, some give it 1cc per 50lbs orally.

This whole worming thing gets me ready to -> :hair:

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I don't worm unless neccesary usually, but I thought that I better becuase of the few coughing so I thought the plus was in order just in case..... i really wonder if it is allergies since it is not all of them it is my herd sire, one doe, and one wether.

6. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Lung worms are bad here. Does it sound like they are caughing something up? If you suspect lungworms worm them three times ten days apart. With Ivomec.

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    That is kind of what I was suspecting.

Is it ok to do it that close together even if they are pregnant?

Thanks

8. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Funny you ask that. I asked the same thing, and people told me it was fine. I didn't do it though since my doe was SOOO close to kidding I just wormed her right after.

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ivermectin is safe for pregnant goats and with any worming regument you should be worming 10 days after the first does to get any eggs that hatch.

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    ok thanks - didn't know to do the injection again after the original - my stupidity!

I have to do all the hooves, blood draws, and what not this weekend, so I will do the ivormectin again at the same time.

I want to get everyones blood testing all on the same day - so my goaties are going to hate me this weekend - but I have lots of treats :)

11. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    lol- I've always thought it best to do all the unpleaseant things at once to my girls- if they are going to be upset with me for something, they don't seem to be any more upset about three unpleasant things rather than one.