The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 5 goats who have greenish clear snot coming out of their noses. They also habe a deep raspy cough. They have all had probios and electrolytes. They always have fresh clean water and hay. They also get grain. I am in the process of getting them on free choice minerals. I was wondering what would be the best drug to use. Or what other treatment would work.

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
yep sounds like it could be pneunomia, get a temp on them Keep them hydrated , B complex is awesome support during times of stress...
if you cant get to a vet for meds try Tylan 200 1 cc per 25# sub Q every 12 hours for five day...you can get this medication at TSC...

Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
The tylan 200 recently worked great for my little ones but you have to treat for the whole 5 days don't stop treating early or it will return at least in my case.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome I work on a dairy farm and have access to draxxin. Does anyone know if the dosage is the same as dairy cattle? 1.1ml per 100lbs?

·
Super Moderator
58,901 Posts
It is the same. The length is 7 days though. Get 2 shots per goat and give 1 shot every 7 days for a full 14 day coverage. Even if they stop coughing, go the full 14 days. Just talked to a friend who only did one shot and the pneumonia came back.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
It is the same. The length is 7 days though. Get 2 shots per goat and give 1 shot every 7 days for a full 14 day coverage. Even if they stop coughing, go the full 14 days. Just talked to a friend who only did one shot and the pneumonia came back.
We scratch what I said about the tylan....the coughs are back. So I'm gonna get the draxxin . So you're saying the Give 1 dose and wait 7 days then give another shot and that's it?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
The tylan was just a temporary fix. Giving 20 goats at a time 2 shots a day for 5 days by my self one week then 20 more the next week was hard and obviously all for nothing.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I know it cost alot more but if I can get a prescription from the vet it will be very well worth it to have to only give 2 shots each.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Let us know how the Draxxin works if you get it. Not trying to talk you out of it, but....
A certain amount of coughing and snottiness may not be pneumonia. If your goats have a virus, the antibiotics will not help. Have you taken their temperature? Are they eating and acting normal otherwise? I don't treat if the goat is otherwise normal. There are other things this can be. This time of year triggers snotty noses etc. *If* your goat's own immune systems can wear this down and recover on their own, your herd then becomes stronger immunity wise. The best would be to take one of the worst offenders to the vet and let them listen to the lungs and view your goat through their eyes. I'm lucky to have a good, moderately priced, goat vet, so that is my perspective, but this it the perfect time to nurture your client/vet relationship. It pays dividends down the road.

·
2,203 Posts
I agree. If anything, Multimin and ImmunoBoost are in need here. Get their immune systems in check.

Another thing to try-Dexamethasone if they have fever or raspy breathing. The steroid can help the inflammation and help the lungs work again. Consult your vet and see what they would prefer to do.

Draxxin is incredibly expensive but is so worth every penny. Take it seriously and keep ahead of the game.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
They just cough constantly with runny noses. No temps and act normal. It started with one then another then another until the whole herd is coughing. At first I thought maybe lung worms but I wormed all 3 times 10 days apart with no change in the coughs. When I used the tylan he coughs and runny noses stopped completely for about 3-4 weeks then slowly one by one its back.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I have come to realize that's its almost pointless to take my goats to the vet here. They are clueless and and look at me like I'm crazy and I leave with no more answers or help than before I went. The only difference is that I usually leave broke.i don't even know that I will be able to get the draxxin from the idiots.

·
2,203 Posts
Have you considered allergies?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts