The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know goats cough, but I have two goats that have had a cough every day for at least 6 months. My little guy was given something by the vet shortly after I first got him in August. It didn't do much for the cough. His fecals, when ran a few months ago, didn't show any lung worms. When my husband took two of our other goats to the vet, he asked and vet said likely allergies from the hay here in Georgia. At that time it seemed like all of my goats had some coughing going on. Both have clear to mildly yellow snot at times. We don't have grass right now, so they eat hay almost all the time. Other than the cough, they are both doing fine. When I give them Benedryl or Mucinex, they seem to do better. Should I take into vet? Can they be given the same antihistamines that horses are given? Trying to give Benedryl every day gets expensive.

·
8,071 Posts
Lung worms do not always show up in the fecal tests. Ivomectrin and Prohibit are supposed to help with lung worms. Others may have different suggestions.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I would suggest doing both ivermectin and garlic. Garlic will help boost their immune systems, but probably won't be able to knock out a long standing lungworm infestation.
Is there any dust or mold in their area? Is their bedding nice and clean and dry? Some goats are more susceptible to environmental irritations than others are.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would suggest doing both ivermectin and garlic. Garlic will help boost their immune systems, but probably won't be able to knock out a long standing lungworm infestation.
Is there any dust or mold in their area? Is their bedding nice and clean and dry? Some goats are more susceptible to environmental irritations than others are.
Horse Ivermectin or sheep ivermectin? Also, garlic cloves crushed or garlic tablets crushed?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Horse Ivermectin or sheep ivermectin? Also, garlic cloves crushed or garlic tablets crushed?
You can use the injectable ivermectin given orally. Dosage is 1cc per 22 lbs. Give every 10 days, 3 times. Then once more in 30 days.

Garlic needs to be raw cloves. Check out this post from @NigerianDwarfOwner707 for more info: Using Garlic to Improve Herd Health. We just coat the cloves in peanut butter and they eat them up.

Meadowmist Lab can do a Baermann test for lungworm. It is $6 per sample. MeadowMist Lab Service ~ Current Services

·
Registered
794 Posts
I have used the horse ivermectin, which is the 1.87% suspension, successfully. You give a triple dose to a goat. So a 100 lb. goat would receive the amount for a 300 lb. horse.
Fresh garlic cloves are best. Some of my goats will gobble them down. Others don't like them. I imagine you could use other forms of garlic, too, though they might not be as potent. Better than nothing, though. There's a product called Kyolic garlic I may try. We used to take it when I was a kid. It's an aged garlic in liquid form...supposed to be very potent. I thought it would be easy to drench a goat with that, but like I said, I haven't tried it yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts