The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm still very new to goats....
When we were goat shopping quite a few farms we went to had coughing goats. One of the little doelings we purchased had "a cold". She was coughing & did have a slight fever. Since she is young & had just moved etc I had the vet out & he treated her with draxxin. It did her well. Then a few days later one of my (also newly purchased) yearling Alpines had a cough & fever. Then just the other day her sister had a fever & diarrhea. So all of them in their turn has had draxxin & banamine. There are 2 others, a buckling housed separately & another young Nubian who cough. They do not have a fever or any other signs of illness except for maybe a small amount of clear nasal dischage on the buckling. So I'm wondering if I need to treat these coughing but feverless ones. It seems like it all kind of started with the one doeling that came here sick. Can pneumonia be contagious like this? Or is it coincidental due to the move (about a month ago now), weather etc. Can pneumonia present without fever? If so, how do I know if it's pneumonia or a common cold? I have a cheap stethoscope but I know I've missed hearing crackles in a cow that my vet could hear so I don't really know what I'm listening for or my set is too cheap. Also, I am now thinking of vaccinating against pneumonia. I saw the post today about Once PMH intranasal vaccine which sounds easy & convenient. Is the 2 shot SubQ version any better or are they equally effective? Thanks

·
Registered
387 Posts
welcome to goats!

coughing only can be indicative of lungworm as well; it could be the boys have a different thing entirely. the fever would indicate illness, not parasite, of course. raw garlic helps with either.

i'm sure someone will answer your pneumonia questions. there are a few here that know it all too well.

·
Super Moderator
14,801 Posts
I was thinking along the lines of lung worms as well. Sometimes a heavy load can cause pneumonia. Might not hurt to check into that to be on the safe side especially with them being new.
Usually one really doesn’t want to treat unless you know for sure they need antibiotics, but I think in a case like this it wouldn’t hurt to just go ahead and treat them.
The vaccine part I absolutely suggest giving a vaccine! I swear by vaccinating against pneumonia. I have never used the SQ ONCE though. I’m sure it would work fine. But I would look into it make sure people have used it on goats with no reactions. That is half the reason I have used the ONCE IN. You might have to make a new topic on that to see if anyone has used it.

·
Super Moderator
32,281 Posts
We used Once PMH SQ and IN a few years in a row when we had a run of pneumonia. Either will work as a nasal dose. We did one cc up each nostril. Worked very well and had no side effects or best yet. No injection sight pain 😉

Reactions: toth boer goats
1 - 6 of 6 Posts