The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

· Registered
7,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so about a month or so ago I posted that I had some goats coughing in my herd. The sheep who run with the goats are not coughing and neither is the youngest goat Beebop, he's almost 5 mo. I ruled out lung worm then by Goathiker's home test, no larva floating in the AM. I did the same test a week ago, came up negative. I've been taking temps on a few of them here and there (I have 9 goats) no fevers as of yet. Pretty much all are coughing at different times, but not every day. I gave Robitussin DM to a few in the beginning for a couple days and it cleared up but now it's back. I've been giving them vit C too. Am I missing something? Should I just treat for lung worm, or is could it be a cold that needs to run it's course?

· I'm watching you
22,734 Posts
I don't think that they are sick. I think that they are coughing from having to spend more time inside with the dusty bedding and dampness here. Having a light bulb or two high above their stall area will burn off some of the moisture and help out with some of that.
Robitussin can not clear up pneumonia or lungworms, it's not that good. I think it's just irritation.

· Registered
2,995 Posts
What's the home test for lungworms? Mine have had a dry cough for a while - I haven't been too worried because they have no mucus or anemia and temperature is normal, but it would put my mind at ease knowing it's not worms :)

· Registered
7,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think that they are sick. I think that they are coughing from having to spend more time inside with the dusty bedding and dampness here. Having a light bulb or two high above their stall area will burn off some of the moisture and help out with some of that.
Robitussin can not clear up pneumonia or lungworms, it's not that good. I think it's just irritation.
Okay, that makes sense. Maybe I'll rig up some light bulbs to put out there. I will have to anyway when Patti delivers here soon.

· Registered
7,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's the home test for lungworms? Mine have had a dry cough for a while - I haven't been too worried because they have no mucus or anemia and temperature is normal, but it would put my mind at ease knowing it's not worms :)
You get some poo, wrap it tightly in some gauze, I put a rubber band on top put it in water over night, then in the AM if you see larva floating you know you are dealing with lung worms, if not then you're not.

· Registered
2,995 Posts
I'm not sure how accurate that would be - everything I'm reading says that lungworms are extremely hard to detect in a fecal, even when done by vets, and that the best way to diagnose is to treat and see if they improve. Can do permanent damage if not treated, so I think I'll just go ahead and try it.

· I'm watching you
22,734 Posts
They are actually swimming Janeen. The warmish water makes the eggs hatch and the larvae will be swimming in the top of the jar. You only want a single piece of gauze around the poop. It's to keep the poo from breaking up and clouding the water.
If you see larvae in the bottom of the jar, they are thread worms or liver flukes.

There is a very expensive test that is done, called a Baerman fecal, this fecal is specifically for finding lung worms. The procedure is exactly the same. The only difference is the container used and that the vet would suck up a few larvae and look at them under the microscope.

· Registered
7,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They are actually swimming Janeen. The warmish water makes the eggs hatch and the larvae will be swimming in the top of the jar. You only want a single piece of gauze around the poop. It's to keep the poo from breaking up and clouding the water.
If you see larvae in the bottom of the jar, they are thread worms or liver flukes.

There is a very expensive test that is done, called a Baerman fecal, this fecal is specifically for finding lung worms. The procedure is exactly the same. The only difference is the container used and that the vet would suck up a few larvae and look at them under the microscope.
Oh wow! I just know I didn't see any larva, I didn't know they would actually swim.. Yuck. I only used 1 layer of gauze, so I'm pretty confident they don't have lung worms, they would be showing other signs by now...

· I'm watching you
22,734 Posts
I would be pretty confident that they don't even without the test, Janeen. The common lungworm around here can't hatch in temperatures under 65* and require a slug for an intermediate host. I haven't seen a slug out of hibernation for a couple months.

· Registered
7,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh, hmmm then once wait to see if there is no coughing, if coughing stops, worm again 10 days later, and then 10 days again... I can do that.. I think I'm going to get ivermectin, or ivomec + safe for preggo girls... I'm going to be giving some selenium and vit e gel, doing hooves this week, so I'll just add this in with a few of them, if their symptoms are gone I'll do the rest, if not then I won't.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.