The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend (sold a goat to her recently) who says three goats out of her herd have begun to cough. She says its a dry cough, she hopes from dry pasture. I don't believe she's ever had this problem. I'm telling her to call her get now, need some other advice. She is Ivermectin them tomorrow to see if its lung work. Any ideas?

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
To test for lung worms..wrap some poop in a square peice of gauze and twist it tight float it in water a few hours or over night...if they have lung worms they will float in the water...I would do this before blindly worming

Lung worm test idea given by GoatHiker :D

Other reasons for coaugh..dry hay/feed allergies...
you can try benadryl for a week first and see if it helps...
check lower inner eye lids for anemia...

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
What type of Benadryl can you use? I have a young doeling who has a cough... We brought her to the vet, had a fecal run and it was clean, she was on two different antibiotics... We talked to the vet and we don't want to pump her with antibiotics if they aren't helping any... So we are waiting to see if it goes away on it's own if it's allergies or something.. Some days it's a little worse then others, where she doesn't cough at all or much at all...

Sorry for hijacking your thread! :oops:

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
benadryl is 10-20 cc

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
And just like Children's liquid stuff is fine? And is that 10-20cc per so many pounds or no matter the goats weight?

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
Yes. I like the liquid , its easier to dose..but pills can be given too...
I do 10 cc for young kids and 20 for adults...or adult size

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Yes. I like the liquid , its easier to dose..but pills can be given too... I do 10 cc for young kids and 20 for adults...or adult size
Ok thanks! :) I will try that and see if it helps :) thanks Cathy :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To test for lung worms..wrap some poop in a square peice of gauze and twist it tight float it in water a few hours or over night...if they have lung worms they will float in the water...I would do this before blindly worming

Lung worm test idea given by GoatHiker :D

Other reasons for coaugh..dry hay/feed allergies...
you can try benadryl for a week first and see if it helps...
check lower inner eye lids for anemia...
I am talking with her on facebook and literally copy and pasted this to her, with reference to you of course :) We'll see if it helps. I'll keep ya updated.

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
best of luck : )

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I have a friend (sold a goat to her recently) who says three goats out of her herd have begun to cough. She says its a dry cough, she hopes from dry pasture. I don't believe she's ever had this problem. I'm telling her to call her get now, need some other advice. She is Ivermectin them tomorrow to see if its lung work. Any ideas?
Dry cough can be caused by a lot of things - lung worms, wind stirring up dust, lack of rain causing dust to be stirred up through normal moving around, dusty hay, dusty feed, allergies, beginnings of pneumonia due to wild temp fluctuations this time of year, and/or ammonia accumulating in their shelter. I would do as happybleats recommended before I started worming without knowing if they have lung worms. Are any of them isolating or standing around with dull eyes and off feed? Check the hay and feed for dust. If there is a lot of wind in your area, set up sprinklers in the pen to keep it under control until snow does it for you.

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
I do daily...yes, try a week and see if it helps...if not..further investigation will be needed to find the source of the cough

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dry cough can be caused by a lot of things - lung worms, wind stirring up dust, lack of rain causing dust to be stirred up through normal moving around, dusty hay, dusty feed, allergies, beginnings of pneumonia due to wild temp fluctuations this time of year, and/or ammonia accumulating in their shelter. I would do as happybleats recommended before I started worming without knowing if they have lung worms. Are any of them isolating or standing around with dull eyes and off feed? Check the hay and feed for dust. If there is a lot of wind in your area, set up sprinklers in the pen to keep it under control until snow does it for you.
Snow? What is this "snow" you speak of? You mean that stuff I only saw fall here once maybe 4 years ago?

Lol, snow is a as rare here as earthquakes are in North Dakota. She says that it could be due to a dry pasture, and seemed like she was going to test for lung worms. I don't know how her shelter is, though, but her goats are healthy looking so I wouldn't see that happening. I just really wanted to comment on the snow thing. I haven't heard from her yet about it all. I'll update when I can.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts