Coughing / Mucus discharge from nose, no fever - advice?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by whitepackgoats, Sep 21, 2020.

1. whitepackgoats

whitepackgoats New Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Oregon
    Hi everyone,

One of my goats (18wk alpine) has developed a cough and nasal discharge. It started during the intense smoke we had last week (wildfires in Oregon), but it hasn't gone away and actually seems to be getting worse. He is eating and drinking normally and has no fever. The nasal discharge is mostly clear and sometimes a little white. There's probably a tablespoon or two each day. As for the cough, it sounds terrible, almost like whooping cough sounds in children... like a cough with a hiccup at the end. This afternoon he had a coughing fit and it sounded like he was really struggling to breathe in. He is totally fine in between coughing episodes. I thought it was all a reaction to the smoke but now I'm worried that it has evolved into something else. His pen is fairly dusty but I keep it otherwise clean. He lives with four other goats and none of them have symptoms. I don't think it's pneumonia - lack of fever and not a rapid onset - but I don't want to be naive. What do you think it is and what do you think I should do?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Have a vet look at him right away.

MadHouse likes this.
  3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I agree a vet check would be good idea. Make sure there's no lung damage. Vetrx is good tontey in the mean time with B complex daily. Dr. Christopher has a lung and bronchial herbal formula you can look up on Amazon or go through Land of Havilah

GoofyGoat and MadHouse like this.
  4. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I agree..since it was from smoke inhalation..I would want a vet to check him. It may be good he is coughing..since all the ash & contaminents in the air.

GoofyGoat and MadHouse like this.
  5. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    You can use some benedryl to help dry up his nose since it's a antihistamine, but I'd get him inside if possible out of the smoky and dusty air. It's quite possible he's gotten smoke inhalation and a vet trip wouldn't be a bad idea. You can also use a vaporizer with mentholated steam to help relieve the symptoms somewhat if you're positive you're not dealing with pneumonia. Monitor his temp and watch closely for a color change in the nasal mucus, if it goes yellow or green you're most likely dealing with an infection ..
    I hope he gets better quickly.

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.