The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, the worrywart goat momma is back. ;) The day before yesterday, Patti was digging into her hay and started hacking up a storm. I patted her sides and her chest, she had a big swallow, then she was okay. I rubbed her neck and watched her for a bit afterwards, and there was no return of the coughing.

Today I was out doing chores and I heard the same hacking. It wasn't just a sneeze or a little cough, it was a violent "SNEEZE-SNEEZE-HACK-COUGH-SNEEZE", and as soon as it started, it stopped. I peeked out of the shed to check on her and she was standing by the hay with a disgruntled look on her face.

No nasal discharge, eyes are bright. She looks normal, looks to be breathing normally, is eating and drinking, and was running around, playing and napping as normal. My mom and I did check the hay, and as far as we can tell it is good, no obvious mold or anything. I will double-check tomorrow.

I haven't heard any sort of occasional cough from anyone, though I'm not out there all the time. Am I right in thinking that pneumonia and lungworms usually are more of a cough here and there, not a sneeze-attack? Honestly I couldn't tell if she was sneezing or coughing, it ended too fast.

Am I right in assuming this was probably her choking on her food? She is also, I think, in heat and has been very active and butty with the other does, so she could have been whacked or whacked someone away while I wasn't looking.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
Could be she is eating too fast...is there someone who is running her off her hay basket..making her feel like she has to hurry?

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I'm guessing eating too fast as well..

·
11,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She is actually the one running the others off. Sometimes I think she sends herself into a panic trying to keep her food all to herself. She is working on the herd-queen status. Maybe she was in the middle of butting someone away, and forgot to swallow. :laugh:

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
That could be..gobblers tend to chocke more. Keep an eye on her but I bet shes just fine : )

·
11,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She was running at the end of the herd this morning, and no coughing. I rubbed her neck and patted her to see if that would trigger something, but she just looked at me like I was crazy. ;) Thanks for the moral support! :D

·
Look for me in the barn...
1,074 Posts
Charlotte does that all the time, she eats so fast!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts