Coughing only while drinking bottle

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by kelebek, Apr 13, 2010.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Ever since I got Rush, he has coughed when he is drinking his bottle..... i have never had another bottle baby do this. He will cough so hard he will fart .. poor little guy.

He never coughs any other time - only when drinking his bottle. Is he just trying to drink to fast

2. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    If it is truly only during bottle feedings, then he is most likely aspirating the milk. When calves did that, I broke up their feedings more and into really small (1-2 gulp) amounts so that they eventually got less excited by feedings and knew they'd be fed again soon. It helped.

Never done that with a goatie though :) Good luck!

3. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    It sounds like hes aspirating a little milk as he drinks. Some babies are just really vigorous drinkers. As long its at no other time I wouldn't be too concerned. Just keep an eye out for aspiration pneumonia.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup I think he is aspirating the milk -- try making the hole a bit smaller on the bottle to see if this stops the coughing.

Othertimes they suck so hard and forget to breath so they cough in response to needing to breath (or their lungs demanded to breath so while eating they aspirated some milk)

5. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    yeah I just use a bottle that flows slower - they have to work more to get their milk and they get it slower - seems to stop the coughing

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Milk doesn't come out of his nose does it? Have you checked his palate?

I did have one girl last year who would cough after drinking, but it was just because she was a pig lol.

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Nope - no milk out of the nose - switched nipples to one with a smaller hole and he did a bit better with not stopping and coughing

Thanks

8. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    Runaround is right . . . check the baby's palate anyway. Top AND bottom. Some times a cleft palate (bottom palate) will cause the milk to be aspirated more easily into their lungs.

He could still be trying to get the hang of bottle-feeding though. If his palate is ok I would do what has already been mentioned before and make him take his time :) good luck! Keep us updated!

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Jess - I definately checked his pallete when I first got him and noticed him doing this.

I switched to a different nipple tonight that has a little smaller hole and he did better - I think he just gets so excited that he stops breathing - cause I was listening real close and watching his body closer.

He is almost a month old and still getting 4 bottles a day - so I really can't break it up anymore than that......

10. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    Well if all it is is that he's getting super excited then just keep at it like you're doing now and he should be fine

11. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    thank you {wink}

12. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    Np ;) keep us all posted if the situation changes. Sounds like he's got a pretty cool personality :love:

13. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    oh he is a little *fart* he has now taught ALL the babies to come FLYING in my lap when I sit down that to jump on my legs with their front hooves when I am trying to walk through the barn with a 5 gallon bucket of water in each hand.... little buggers.