coughing/snotting

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Devin, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Hey guys, Rowdy is coughing this morning. Should I start him on antibiotics? He is 10 days old. He will cough and then sneeze snot out the nose. All his other issues are fixed. I can hear him breath today. kinda short and puffy sounding.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

3. ()relics

()relics New Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Indiana
    3 days ago Your Vet said never to give antibiotics to such a young kid or it would "screw him up", in a different thread. If this is the treatment that was prescribed by your vet I would adhere to it. He has had a more first hand look at the problem than anyone On-Line has and he is a trained Vet...You should call him back to update him on the new symptom and ask what he would suggest.

4. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Get a temp on him. You don't know if he just needs some VetRx or if an antibiotic is needed until you know the temp. As far as antibiotics screwing up a baby goat..... unless he has a proven allergy to a specific antibiotic I'd guess any vet that says that studied goats for about (0) days in college and has no clue what he's talking about. TOO MANY PEOPLE have lost goats that should've lived because they listened to their vets advice on improper dosages for worming, improper dosages for antibioics, giving antibiotics prescribed by the vet that doesn't work on goats and so on. (I could go on and on but you get the point! LOL)

I know you want the best for your baby.... he may just have a cold in that case some Vet Rx in his nose for a few days will work wonders. However a fever means antibiotics are needed asap...especially on a baby as they can go downhill quickly. :)

P.S Can you tell I'm really P.O'd about vets right now??????? LOL Mine is so goat ignorant that he told me if I need help with my goat in labor he'd be able to come out and euthanize her and the kids for me. LOVELY! GRRRRRR.

5. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    relics: I thought you basically said he was stupid and I should get a new vet?

Anyway, I did call him back, and he gave us an antibiotic (cant remember the name, starts with a B) as he said it looks like the begining of pneumonia, since we could hear it in the lungs. For that he will prescribe antibiotic, but not for diahrea in such a young kid. Rowdy is 10 days old. the vet called him a tough little squirt with as much as he has gone through and has survived. He said he could have easily died with as much as the previous people were feeding him as it detroys the lining of the intestines and they can't absorb food anymore.

Anyway, THIS problem is worth the risk of antibiotics.

In talking to the vet he seems pretty knowledgable, and has worked with goats and goat kids before. We went to go pick up the antibiotic and he is DEFINATELY a country vet lol! His vet office in on his farm! Very nice guy! I really think we have found our goat vet, as our normal vets don't really do goats. He also gave us the antibiotic for free. He gave us 2 doses (a dose lasts 4-5 days) and said if he is not 100% after that amount of time dose him again.

SOOOO, I just gave my first shot! a little on the job training goin on lol!

Toth, I did take a rectal temp and it was about 103, so no fever yet. Would you have given him the antibiotic? He is coughing up flem and sneezing it out. He is laying around a bit more today than yesterday, but still eating OK.

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Have you started him on the antibiotics at all?
    Me personally ... I wouldn't ...as his temp is normal....sounds like ...he may need vetRx....for a cold ... :wink:

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Would the antibiotic be called "Biomycin"? It's a good one, though from what I understand, better for respiratory problems, I have only ever used Pen G when needed so I don't have experience with the one the vet gave you. Keep his temp monitered, any higher than 103.5 then I would talk to the vet again.

Also...try and get his temp after he's been resting, not after playing or eating, this will give you an accurate number as opposed to a higher one from "exertion".

8. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Yes, I did give it to him already. I didn't want to take a chance with pneumonia really developing. I figured a bit of an upset tummy is not as bad as that. It was a one shot thing so I shouldn't have to give him anymore. I know I will learn as I go :shades:

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Is it the Biomycin or something else?

10. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

11. ()relics

()relics New Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Indiana
    ...Well said BTW.

...Apparently it is harder, than I thought, to post with a sarcastic tone...

12. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I'm here looking for help, I don't have time to wade through the crap, so if you can't be helpful and respectful then bug off. Relics, I have put you on ignor because frankly you have nothing helpful to add to a conversation.

13. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I don't think it was biomycin, that doesn't sound right. His office is closed so I can't call and find out tonight, but I will find out. I hate that I can't remember the name.

On the vet issue, I totally understand! Most vets know squat about horses too. It seems dogs and cats are the only thing studied anymore with most of them!

14. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Is the medicine Baytril or BioMycin? I personally have had terrible luck with Baytril for pneumonia in goats...don't know if my vet under dosed it or what but it didn't cure a thing and my goat got MUCH sicker. I have had great luck with Biomycin....however it needs to be given everyday for 5 days on goats or it won't work. A lot of vets say every other day or every 2 days but it won't work at that dosage. If he sounds rumbly in the chest I would start the antibiotics as silent pneumonia sometimes gives the fever at the tail end.

Hope your baby feels better soon! :hug:

15. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Ok we must have both posted at the same time. :)

16. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I understand stress with the goaties and sarcasm is not usually well appreciated at that time...but still lets play nice or take it private please. :)

17. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I'll try to find out tomorrow, thanks for your help with your experience, if it turns out to be Baytril I will keep in mind what you said and keep a good eye on him! (well, I'll do that anyway lol)

18. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I'm sorry you feel I was being inappropriate. But I won't appologise for sticking up for myself.

19. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    What is the dosage that he is getting? My vet gave me 1cc per 100lbs for Baytril for 7 days straight and that just didn't seem like enough to me... she was REALLY sick at the end of that 7 days....but BioMycin cleared her right up.

20. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    It was at a ratio of 1cc per 20 pounds so he gave us .3cc (he's only 4 pounds)