Coughing Sometimes?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by capriola-nd, Nov 20, 2008.

1. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Sometimes some of our goats cough. No temps, no runny noses, no illnesses, no goopy eyes, etc. Just a cough. What do you guys do? Any suggestions? I prefer natural and homeopathic remedies but am also open to others. I have VetRx on hand but haven't tried it.

It is sometimes a dry cough and other times sounds a little moist, just a little. Should I do something about it or just keep an eye that it doesn't get worse?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Could be caused by many things :
    Choking on food
    Vitamin A deficiency
    Allergies
    Dust
    Lung worms...how are the gums

3. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    I am a big believer in Vet RX and it certainly won't hurt them. I also like to use Vicks on my kids they run when I get the container out. Kind of like when I get the vet rx out the goats take off running. I have one wether with allergies and he coughs occasionally. The drops seem to help him alot. :)

4. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    I have one doe that has a dry cough-she is older, and it seems that she is choking on her feed. She will hack for about 10 minutes then quit-the only time she does it is with the feed. :shrug:

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if it is a cold then VetRx and some nutri drench will be helpful -- both are natural things.

If it is lung worms then you will notice a drop in their condition. Ivermectin is good for lungworms (dont show up on a fecal though).

is it dusty where you are? a little dust can cause intermitant coughing.

as long as their eyes look bright, there is no discharge from their nose and they are keeping their condition then supportive stuff like VetRx and nutri drench will help the symptoms.

6. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Mine cough while eating as well. . .especially Daisy . . . :shrug:

7. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Not particularly dusty. . . . we're in Oregon. ;)

Their condition is great. They are actually a little on the chubby side. :roll:

I will try the Nutri-Drench. Are VetRx and Vicks kinda the same thing?

Eyes are bright - need to check the lids and gums though, haven't for a while.

I also just bought a ton of dry herbs that I'm going to make some remedies with. I bought echinacea, slippery elm bark powder, peppermint, and a lot more, just can't remember right now.