The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time no see, everyone! Unfortunately I come with a pretty confusing situation.

My one year old Nigerian dwarf doe has always had this weird cough and yawn thing. Ever since we got her, she would randomly break out into this coughing fit and make this weird yawn. Not a normal yawn, but one where she stretches her jaw from side to side. Over time we just saw this as normal, she was healthy, eating fine, pooping fine, acting like a ‘normal’ goat from what we could tell. We’re new goat owners, so we weren’t sure what to expect.

After a few months of having her, today is finally the day I get concerned. She has been coughing and yawning a lot more than usual, hacking, and licking me like crazy. She has even jumped up on me to lick me, which she normally never does. I also noticed that her nose looked a little runny.

Any thoughts? Note: all of the goats we’ve gotten from this breeder have the coughing/hacking thing. They all seem healthy otherwise though.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Wish I knew enough to offer advice, but I’m a new and often worried goat mom myself. I always start with rectal temp, FAMACHA, and a fecal analysis when I’m concerned. Are all those good? And maybe I overdo it always checking those three things. Like I said, I’m still learning. I hope you can get it figured out (and that it turns out to be nothing) and your girl gets back to her old self soon!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts