Coughing

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sparks879, Feb 1, 2008.

1. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Teresa, thanks. I do realize she seems small and she is. She was the smallest of triplets. I also got a wether from the same breeder who is one day younger and alot bigger than her. She was weighed a few weeks ago at the vets. Maybe up to 20, I will weigh her before doing anything. I spent alot of time looking through the merck vet manual trying to research this. As I said, she only seems to cough after running and playing. No fever, no nasel discharge. When I listen to her lungs they don't seem congested. Would the ivermectin treatment hurt her if this isn't what it is? What is the dosege? I have the injectable. Also due to her size she hasn't really been with the other goats except for her brother. She has only been in with the others on a limited basis when they are allowed to free range on the property and I am always there. So should they still all be treated as well? It seems that there really aren't any definitive tests for lung worm. But I don't want to take any chances on losing her. And after the antibiotics her brother hasn't coughed. She just started again the other day. But I worry due to her size that she is more suseptable to things. Thanks for you help Cathy

2. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

well little bit seems to be doing better this am. She went running down the hill when i large three branch fell (we are having high winds) and she didn;t cough at all. first time in a couple of eeks that i have noticed. But it just seems to be never ending when i fed the goats last night i was filling the kid water bucket and dixie came up to be petted. I was running my hand over her and felt something warm and sticky. she was bleeding. as it was getting dark and i have no lights down there. She seems to have two puncture wounds about an inch apart. My clippers arn;t working so i can;t shave the spot to get the hair out of the wounds. So im doing my best to lean them and put ointment on them. and then giving her pen.
    beth

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh dear! I wonder what caused that. Try getting some children's fisker sissors (can't spell it right now) to cut down the hair a little

4. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

thanks stacey, i tried cutting the hair down a little. It helps a bit. My last years kids are soooo fuzzy. I had a friend over the other day and she was petting sera and dixie and telling them what a lovely pair of boots their coats would make (jokingly of course she has goats too and loves them to death)
    Dixie seems to limping a bit on that leg, its right down in her stifle area. great major muscle there. But im cleaning it twice a day and putting ointment on it. and giving her antibiotics. other then a little bit of a limp she seems her usual self. she is perky and eating and loving on me.
    Im just about done getting everyones feet trimmed. only two does left, i have been doing two a day the last few days thankfully the muddy work is almost over for the month.
    beth