Coughing?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Kass, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    So I have a two 4 month old ND does. One has had a cough and a runny nose for about a week and a half now. We were going to wait it out incase it was just a cough. Yesterday we got a little worried, and ran out and got a thermometer. No temp, eating, drinking, and moving fine. Just a cough and runny nose, but otherwise fine? I don't want to give her any meds that she doesn't need... any ideas on something I could give her just to help her out a little?
    Thanks!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    He most likely has a cold, it will have to run it's course.
    But if he starts acting off, not eating, get a temp right away.
    It can turn into pneumonia.

Seasons changing, up and down temps in weather contribute to this.

Another thing is possible lungworms, but these usually do not have snotty nose.

You can clean out the nose and put Vet Rx drops in the nostrils and give vit C.

Moers kiko boars and friesian49 like this.

3. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Will ivermetin orally kill lung worms!

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes, Ivomec injectable give it orally.

5. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Today temps run on all 4 goats from 102.9 f, 103.3f 103.5f and 103.6f . The 103.6 f and 103.5 f , if that high or higher this evening I will give banamine. My Nuflor has been backordered and is suppose to ship today.

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    A couple of temps are a tiny bit higher, but not of concern.
    You don't need to give banamine, if it is just a tick above.

It does not suggest pneumonia.

Moers kiko boars and friesian49 like this.
  7. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    This evening temps are elevated again. I checked all four and lowest was 103.6 and highest 104.1F I had one 103.7F and one 103.9. I gave 1/2 ml banamine to those three. I am at a loss on the temperatures. How do I check breathing? Also pulse rate on goats.?

8. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Their temps arent really that high. Especailly if they were ust sitting in the sun or running around. Mine have a cough and runny nose right now too.

friesian49 likes this.
  9. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    They are in a shade from about 1:30pm in the evening until morning. They are in a 25 x 20 wooden coral with a tree blocking all evening sun.

10. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    It is pasture move day tomorrow and the pen they are in connects to the pasture I’m transferring my herd to. Do you think them being able to contact through the boards will be a problem with my herd coming in contact with what they may have? The new goats are still in quarantine so to speak. It’s just 2 sides of the coral that borders the pasture I’m moving the herd into. I’m not even sure if they have anything catching. They are eating and drinking good and eating hay. I fed garlic (minced) mixed with peanut butter, replamin and selium/ vitamin E gel yesterday. Mixed in the feed, they wouldn’t eat it at first but by morning it was all gone. I feed oats, alfalfa and boss morning and evening. I just don’t want the herd to catch pneumonia from them.

11. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    If they are acting fine, then i wouldnt be worried. If they really had a fever, you would know it. They probably just have a cold or something. Did someone around you just bale hay? Mine all get runny noses and eyes from the dust.

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree, watch their behavior, if they are eating acting normal, just watch them.
    If any of them act off, not eating or picking at their food, laying around a lot ect, get a temp, if over 104, they need antibiotics right away.

Stop the banamine, as it only masks true illness and can effect temp and make them feel a little better so you have false outcomes.
    And is not good to give long term.

If after the banamine gets out of their systems, about 36 hours, they may show true signs of illness.
    Then you will have to treat the source, not mask it with banamine.
    If they do show illness and high temp.

I also think you may need a different thermometer.

13. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    I really appreciate what you are saying and believe me I want them well and healthy. I did not take temps today for two reasons. One I am working on a hay rack for all my nannies and got most of it done except for the tin roof and the runners to pull it from pasture to pasture. The other reason is I thought I would give them a break today and check everybody tomorrow. I have 7 digital thermometers, 3 - I just threw away and 2 needs batteries and the 2 I using, I just bought. I also have a vet mercury (old style but with a silver scale) thermometer and it kept giving me 102.1 and I believed it 2 days until I started checking the other 3 goats in pen with Abel and their temps were 102.1 . After looking closely at the dial the mercury had separated and 1/2 inch of mercury had moved up the dial. I tried shaking it back down but it would not moved. So it’s useless. They are eating and they cough a little after eating but I think it’s the dust in the alfalfa causing the cough. I only notice a little cough only after they eat. Now the one that had pneumonia stills cough only a little but it is after he eats. I have notice though, that if I pat him with both hands just behind his shoulders, it makes him cough 2-3 times, then he quits. Does this signal anything?

14. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I have 3 goats who have been coughing for a while now... Maybe a month.. I dont know what to do, but they are acting completely fine, and they only cough when they run around, so i dont worry too much. I do plan on taking one to the vet sometime to see what he says. Yes, i would like to have them @ 100%, but sometimes, you just have to let the body fight it off on its own. They should be OK :)

Moers kiko boars and TCOLVIN like this.
  15. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    This Sunday morning-Happy Mother’s Day to all you Moms and Moms to be. I went to the pens and took 2 temps this morning and Abel my little buckling 14 weeks old Apx , had a great 101.5 F. Lottie had a 100.5 F. Not to bad for a 52 degree morning. Lottie though has acted like she don’t feel good (tail down) and moves kinda slow. I will give some probiotics after lunch. She ate some of her breakfast mix with the other goats and I notice some stool clumping in the pen but didn’t get to see who it came from. I am suspecting her though. No real coughing going on except after they eat and I am suspecting alfalfa dust causing that. Does all alfalfa have dust like this?

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Temps sounds good.

Coughing can be:
    Dust
    Lung worms
    CL
    Occasionally cough from regurgitation.

Not all alfalfa is dusty, but some can have it.

Soft stool, can be diet increase or change or worms/cocci.

17. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    They have one more Cydectin coming last dose May 16th. Cocci prevention just finished 2 weeks ago. Diet was increase 1 can of half alfalfa half oats. Fecal said clean on Abel, he still coughs a little, especially if you pat him kinda hard behind his shoulders. Lottie has went off feed, I gave her a dose of probiotics this eve. I mixed 2 tablespoons of probiotic powder with warm water in my 30ml drench gun and gave it to her.

18. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    give her some b complex too and check famacha

19. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Thanks for answering my questions, I’m just worried about this pneumonia thing.

20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Listen to her lungs, any raspiness
    there?
    Get a stethoscope or hold your ear up to the chest.