The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
TKC Farms
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
IMG_3146.jpg
I bought a mostly Nubian buckling that is about 3 months old. He is the sweetest and friendliest goat I have ever seen. You go into the pen with a drench , he comes to you and doesn't run off. I've had him quarantined with 3 others I bought until they complete their cocci prevention and worming. I notice a couple of times he would cough a little while we were feeding up. Not a lot but a time or two yesterday evening. I'm wondering if it allergy or maybe a little cold. He doesn't act like there is any thing wrong and he eats his oats and alfalfa and drinks water. What should I be worried about. I am trying to attach a picture.

·
TKC Farms
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why can't i open the picture. I think I posted same picture 3 times and it says I don't have permission to view.
I have posted the picture is a separate topic titled coughing goat topic

Reactions: CaramelKittey

·
TKC Farms
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When is he coughing?
I just noticed it after I had him a couple of days. I checked his temp last night and it was 104.6F. I gave him 1ml banamine, he weighs about 50 pounds. I have ordered Nuflor gold but want have it for at least 3-4 days. I have on hand Noromycin 300 that is for treatment of pneumonia . I haven't given him any yet but fixing to go to pens in a short while prepared to do so. I will check his temp this morning. He is in with 3 other new goats and I will be checking their temps as well. At this point I don't know if separating would do any good. All appear healthy if you didn't know, eating, drinking and moving around. I felt of him when giving the bantamine and he was warm to touch. Any thing else I should do to help this crisis.?

·
TKC Farms
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just noticed it after I had him a couple of days. I checked his temp last night and it was 104.6F. I gave him 1ml banamine, he weighs about 50 pounds. I have ordered Nuflor gold but want have it for at least 3-4 days. I have on hand Noromycin 300 that is for treatment of pneumonia . I haven't given him any yet but fixing to go to pens in a short while prepared to do so. I will check his temp this morning. He is in with 3 other new goats and I will be checking their temps as well. At this point I don't know if separating would do any good. All appear healthy if you didn't know, eating, drinking and moving around. I felt of him when giving the bantamine and he was warm to touch. Any thing else I should do to help this crisis.?
Oh, I forgot to mention, all are in the process of cocci prevention if that matters. And also 2nd Cydectin dose is coming up. Next dose of Cydectin due 5/6/20

·
TKC Farms
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, I forgot to mention, all are in the process of cocci prevention if that matters. And also 2nd Cydectin dose is coming up. Next dose of Cydectin due 5/6/20
Just checked temp. Now 105.4F. I gave another banamine 1ml and a Noromycin 300 shot supposedly 1-1/2 ml. He jumped so it was hard to do. Help!

Also saw a clumpy stool from him today.

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
TKC Farms
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Definitely do the antibiotic for at least 7 days. If he is new, you can always worm him as well. I'd also do B complex and probiotics.
I just done a fecal and he shows no cocci or barberpole or lung worms in stool sample. I have him on cocci prevention and next Cydectin is due 5/6/20. Vet says to stop the Cydectin and keep with the cocci prevention. Also went to pens with two thermometers and the one I have been using showed a temp of 105.4 F same as this morning's reading. Tried the 2nd thermometer and it read 100.9 F
Now I don't know it I chasing my tail or what. He also told me not to give any more shots until Monday as the Noromycin 300 had retaining ability for a couple of days. Also said 1-1/2ml was too much for a 50 pounder. His cough is not consistence, and he eats most all his food without coughing but once and then only a couple of short coughs like he is clearing his throat. I am paranoid because I lost a 2 month old to silent pneumonia about 5 weeks ago and we are having cold nights and 90 degree days. He ate a tomato can full of oats and alfalfa mix and some green leaves and a little hay.

·
TKC Farms
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess keep an eye on him.
I can't get the temp down. I checked him this morning and he was 106.4 F. He was in the sun ( about 9:30am) so I penned him in a shaded wall in shed that has an open gated front. I left him for over an hour and checked his temp again and it dropped one degree. 105.6 F I called my vet and ask about given more banamine which he okayed and said he would give me a dose of Baytril / Enroflox 100 LA 2-1/2 cc to give SubQ. I gave both the banamine and the Baytril. He is eating what ever you put out and eats good, green oak leaves. Alfalfa, Oats and a little cow feed. He acts like nothing is wrong even thou his temp has been high for at least 4-5 days that I know of. His cough is only occasionally and I notice if I pet him on his shoulders a bit it tends to make him cough a couple of times. My vet said the Baytril shot was good for 3 days. I pray it works.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Are you sure this thermometer is accurate? You said you tried another one and it gave a different reading. Maybe, get another thermometer and take a temp with that one to see which of the other 2 is the most accurate.

·
TKC Farms
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you sure this thermometer is accurate? You said you tried another one and it gave a different reading. Maybe, get another thermometer and take a temp with that one to see which of the other 2 is the most accurate.
I thought of this and have use 4 different thermometers. I even have an old style that is called a vet thermometer that reads the old way with the mercury movement. It reads about the same as the digitals I'm using. I did find a bad one about a month or so back but threw it away. What gets me is he doesn't act sick. He is a little under weight with sunken sides sometimes, then you go back to pen tomorrow and he looks ok. I just don't know what to do. He is popping little pea size pellets and urinating.

·
TKC Farms
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just call a call from Allivet and the Nuflor Gold I had ordered is on a 5-10 day back order. Just what I didn’t want to hear.

·
TKC Farms
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just call a call from Allivet and the Nuflor Gold I had ordered is on a 5-10 day back order. Just what I didn't want to hear.
Praise GOD, good news. Went to feed and take temp of my little coughing goat and digital thermometer read 103 F , I checked with the mercury thermometer and got 105.5 F. That was disappointing so I thought go wash it off with cool water and shake it down. I did, then it read almost on the dot to 103F. I guess things are looking up. Again he ate all his food and walks around like nothing going on. I pray he keeps the temp down. I'll check again this evening. Didn't hear him cough this morning either.

·
TKC Farms
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
102.2 F this evening at 5:00pm. This is the only day temp has been ok morning and eve. Praise God. I hope this continues. Also took 3 thermometers to pen just in case. First the digital, it would only read half number the cut off. I pull out the old mercury vet thermometer and took temp and it read 102.2 F.

·
TKC Farms
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
This evening it was 103.9 F on the digital and 102.2 on the mercury. How long should I leave the mercury thermometer in? I have only been doing only 1 full minute. Should it be 3 minutes?

·
TKC Farms
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also should I give a banamine if over 103.5 F tomorrow?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts