The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, hello. :laugh: As you know, I raise Nigerians, and love the breed. But while my family's aim is to have enough milk while enjoying those little firecrackers, we have discovered we love the meat as well. It can be hard to find high quality meat, and certainly nothing compares to your own. My mom and I are playing with the idea of buying a meat doe to breed to our Nigerian bucks, producing kids that will be very well loved, then harvested.

I would want a doe that wasn't too large, possibly a fainting goat, but I am open to other breeds as well. The doe herself would be a pet. Does anyone know of any breeders in NJ, or of a registry I could look into?

Thanks! :D

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I would go with myotonic or savanna. Both are mid size and meaty. I like myotonics... theyd be fun!

·
11,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking myotonic! I heard they have cute personalities too. Know of any breeders? I looked through the directory and am searching registries now.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I don't know any except for one in Texas and I would have to ask a friend what her name is. I know she has nice goats though lol. Boer myotonics are nice too but if they get boer height they'd be hard for a nigerian to breed.

I want a fainter so bad. But I don't have enough land for multiple breeds ... or enough time or money lol

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I'll be adding a boer % doe to my herd tomorrow. Might try keeping a wether to butcher next year.... Not sure though!

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
We love our boers... I'm starting to breed my own show goats now but we plan to raise cull kids for meat.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
If I could find a boer/pygmy, I would be very happy. :laugh:
I have been seeing quite a few bores on The NH CL... Don know if your willing to travel that far though...

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
If I could find a boer/pygmy, I would be very happy. :laugh:
Check craigslist! I see them all the time here in NC. Also, a pure pygmy may be a good option. They are pretty meaty but won't put much size to kids.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
So you want a huge barrel chested goat on short stubby legs? :laugh:
That's what I have pictured lol. Although one of does has look and she's, to my knowledge, full boer.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I agree a pygmy could be a good option... Our pygmies are very meaty.

·
11,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know! Sydney, I'm not sure I was a pure-bred pygmy, I think I want something just a tad larger.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I know! Sydney, I'm not sure I was a pure-bred pygmy, I think I want something just a tad larger.
Oh, I was suggesting the Pygmy doe as your meat breed doe.

·
11,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yep! And they're wonderful, but I want something just a little bit bigger than the Nigerians ... we'll be keeping her and harvesting her kids, so I'd like the kids to be meatier than our usual Nigerian wethers. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts