The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I nabbed my favorite Nubian doe from my friend when she put her up for sale a week ago. She had been at the fair, so we quarantined. She had also been wormed for the second time since my friend had one doe (not this one) test positive for barberpole worms this spring...and not even a high number. But...to be safe, she wormed them. Then, this doe was on pasture / hay only so after a week we added a little of our mix (noble goat/BOSS/alfalfa pellet). We've been giving her probios

Saturday she presented with a bad cough and the runs....no fever. I started electrolytes
Sunday I was able to dose her with 1cc per 25LB LA200, still has the runs. today I checked her eyelid and it's pretty white mostly, but there is a band of pink and a line of red... (can't get a pic, she doesn't like her eyes messed with).

So...we've got potential barberpoles (after 2x treatments, not time for the third yet), soft stool and icky cough/boogers...

I have read I shouldn't give the LA 200 again until 48 hours....but I'm wondering if I should give that tonight. She's been sucking down my goat=aide (cider vinegar/blackstrap molasses/baking soda/salt/warm water)...can I over do that? I like the iron in the blackstrap until I can get redcell.... her appetite is good...obviously we're not giving any feed but grass hay and a few maple leaves at this point.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
temp is normal. I'm going to have the fecal done... I think I'm gonna go ahead and give the LA200 and some bcomplex

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
Your electro mix is safe to offer daily but also offer clean fresh water so she can choose to drink that she prefers

A fecal would be a good idea...anemia needs to be addressed ..Red cell 6 cc per 100# daily for a week (double day one) then once a week until color returns..
Vit B 12 or B complex PLUS which has a good amount of 12 in it..
Alfalfa and green leaves are good to help re build her red blood cells..and high protein feed when her bum is dry

for the runs I would give c d antitoxin and pepto and probios

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I gave the fortified B complex (don't have straight thiamine). I don't have red cell yet, it's on the list for tomorrow...never had to give it...if they run out is injectable iron okay? Our tsc is remodeling or something....

She's still eating hay and cudding well and her gut isn't sloshy or weird, so I'm not quite ready to give the antitoxin yet...we have such a limited amount. I am keeping an eye on it though.

I haven't seen her poop all day to know where we are with that...the kid in with her is on the mend from the "cold" and is pooping normal. Again, I don't want to give pepto until I see her poop.

I'm assuming red cell is oral...I have a drenching gun. Is it one of those like the CMPK they hate? I wish there was a shot I could give her...I thought about giving her a couple flinstones vitamins that have iron, lol...but I opted for the blackstrap and some collard green leaves.

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
Yes you can give iron shots..TCS should carry it..I believe its for pigs..
Ferrodex 100 and Dextran iron injectables 'I would Have a large dose of Benadryl ready, like 30 cc..some goats react with the shots, not all just a few...best to have it ready just in case

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fecal came back with heavy Coccidia and some Strongyles

So...our treatment plan is to continue homemade electros and probios,
copper bolus, continue LA 200 for the respiratory infection and to prevent secondaries...

Start ivomec @ 1cc per 20lb injected (she was given dectomax 4 weeks ago and paste wormer 2 weeks ago...before we bought her...so I'm assuming I should start over and do all 3 rounds of ivomec...)
Start dimethox @ 1cc per 5# today (per 10# tommorrow)
give Red Cell @ 6cc per 100 lb
continue B complex at 1cc per 20 lbs...

Missing anything? Anyone reccomend a different dose? This is for a small nubian-soon-to-be-pin-cushion and drench-gun-hating doe.

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
Ivomec plus would be better (covers liver fluke just in case) and 1 cc per 40# sub Q is the correct dose..3 times 10 days apart then once againin 30 days

Full round of cocci treatment then another fecal to be sure the wormers are working

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NWe have the plus. The doe's breeder just told me Ivomec doesn't work for strongyles though...but everything I read seems to say it does.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She's much better today! We've got a lot to keep up on and follow up on to keep her on the mend...a few more days of LA200&B complex, a week of Di-Methox...but her color is coming back to her eyes already & she's perky and not coughing. Normal berries

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
SO glad she is feeling better :D

There is talk that Ivomec no longer works in some areas..the problem being is the barpole egg and liver fluke egg look very simular inder the micro scope and can be mistaken for each other..If you treat with just the Ivomec and have liver fluke you will still have a problem and seeming like the ivomec didnt work..in reality it didn't work on the liver fluke..only the "PLUS" woks on liver fluke...this is why if I have to worm I use the Iv. Plus to be sure I get the right worm...:)

I would do the 3 times 10 days apart then once more in 30 days..get a good kill..then have another fecal done to see how she is...
best wishes for a quick recovery

1 - 11 of 11 Posts