The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a doe who I believe is due a week from today (Saturday) - although if I go by when I put her in with the buck she could be due as early as Wednesday. Anyway, last night she lost her mucus plug (white and thick like Elmer’s glue) and today she has gobs and gobs of clear, stretchy mucus. Do you think she could go a whole nother week before kidding? She has an udder (definitely not entirely filled out yet) and her ligaments are pretty hard to find but still barley there. What do you all think??

Oh and this little cutie was born last night! :)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
58,921 Posts
If this started about 6 hours ago, I'd go in. I just had to go in for a dystocia. Doe just wasn't making the progress I thought she should. Turned out to be a huge single buck whose elbows were locked and head was coming. I had to push his head back in and unlock the elbows. Then I had to help with getting the big head out. If you have a dystocia, she won't progress.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just checked her and, with my fingers together, couldn’t get my hand in past my second knuckle. She’s opening up, but definitely not “there” yet. And I felt nothing suspicious while I was in there. (No feet/legs/head of any kind yet). So I’m kind of assuming at this point she must still be in early labor then don’t you think? But she still had loads of long gobs of clear mucus so she has to be getting close.

·
Super Moderator
58,921 Posts
That should not go on all day. I really suspect something is wrong. If the back or some other part is against the cervix, she may not dilate properly. There shouldn't be a ton of discharge for hours.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
How are things this morning?

Something is off with this doe-it is not normal to have that goo for so long with no other signs of labor...

I hope all goes well!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Agreed, she might be like one of my does who has a tiny pelvis and her buckling’s head was so big it couldn’t get through therefore didn’t trigger her to contract?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She’s still completely normal and all the goo has stopped. I’ve spoken to a couple of my “goat girlfriends” in the area and they both said they’ve had does do the exact same thing and ended up having normal deliveries with healthy babies a few days later. They think it’s just a heavy mucus plug. Cuz I’ve gone in and they are definitely no babies in the birth canal and she’s not even near open enough to get my entire hand in so I’m just going to keep an eye on her for now. I’ll post updates as soon as I have them! Thank you for all the advice! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts