The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got out first saanen dairy goat about 2 weeks ago. She was underweight and wormy and in milk. We wormed her and started drying her off and the worm belly disappeared. There have been no signs of her being in heat and she was being kept with her 9 month old buck. What should I look for as far as if she is pregnant or not? I have included some pictures if anyone has an opinion.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Saanen's are seasonal breeders, meaning that they will start having heats in September until late February. Her buckling may not have even entered rut or shown interest in breeding. She doesn't appear to be pregnant and does need some TLC so it's good that you dried her off, she can put her food into getting healthy :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. We've only had her 2 weeks tomorrow and she is already starting to look better than when we got her. At this time we are feeding her free choice grass hay, pasture and alfalfa/timothy pellets (approx. 6 cups a day divided into 2 feedings). Were going to start her on some grain in the next week or so. I've read most people don't feed grain unless pregnant or lactating, so do you think we should give her grain or just continue as we have been?

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I wouldn't get too carried away with feed or changing her diet. You don't want fast weight gain - slow and steady is much better and less stressful for the goat. I would leave her ration alone if she were mine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts