could there still be more??*goat that aborted*

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by babe817, Jun 17, 2008.

1. babe817

babe817 New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    could their still be any more kids inside her?? she going pretty good now.. but shes still looks like theres more in there.. after she aborted the kids... i could feel a large hard lump inside her. dh told me it would be something else and not to worry. he gave her the oxytocin needle.. but it was still there... yesterday when we where down at the goats.. he was like "she still looks like there could be a kid in there." :hair:argh...
    *i dont have any pics atm*sorry*

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Pics would help(esp of her cha cha for pooch) if you can get them but.......

If you are feeling on the right side, it is very easy to feel the liver and the kidneys(kidneys are that hard lump) when you are feeling around in there. On the left side the rumen can sometimes feel firm. When we first got into goats(this is embarrassing) We bought 10 'bred' does. I'd go out there everyday and proudly announce to everybody that this goat or that goat is pregnant because I could feel the 'baby'
    5 months go by.....................no babies
    6 months go by....................no babies
    7 months go by....................no babies
    I find a book.......................
    "Oh, that was a kidney not a baby" :ROFL:

3. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    There could very well be another kid in there. Somebody recently had that exact situation, I think it was Lori, she went in and found a mumified kid. I'm sure more experience will come on soon and give you better advice. Is she acting depressed? Not eating? Have you taken her temperature? Sure hope this works out ok. :sigh:

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Sorry I'm not thinking tonight.

If you gave her oxytocin that will cause strong contractions and will contract the uterus. I don't think that it will expel the kid though if there is another one in there due to the fact that oxytocin will only expel something if the cervix is open. Lutalyse will make them go into labor 36 hours after the shot and lutalyse is what makes the cervix open.

If she is doing pretty good and not acting off, I don't know that there could be another kid in her, especially if it was dead. If it was dead she would be acting off.

5. babe817

babe817 New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    no shes acting fine.. eating well.. talking.. walking around with the other goats... you wouldnt think theres a problem..
    i still think she needs to put on some more weight though..
    could there be a live kid though? i would expect her to be ill if there was a dead one.

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Yes I did have that, but once you give the oxytocin yes that would of caused her to abort everything. But that said that was the best thing to do, other wise she could have retained something or part of the placenta and that is really not good.

I totally agree with sarah