The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I found this product online today, and it got me thinking. Could I use these horse copper pellets in place of a copper bolus? They seem to be cheaper than a set of 100 capsules of UltraCruz Goat Copper Boluses. If any of you have any suggestions, just let me know.
Screenshot_20190424-070142.jpeg

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I think it is great you are thinking outside the box, because we wouldn't know how to use anything at all for goats if people didn't look past the labeling directions.

Although the ingredients look OK (very good) to me, I'd be so super cautious about using this. The equine has a very different digestion, different metabolism, and a different size!!! than a goat.

This is a different form, the boluses are meant to be given once every so often. This is meant to be given daily. Hard to monitor the effects, if you have reached toxicity or not when the delivery of what you are trying to substitute isn't the same.

@ksalvagno has the best, safest, answer... Buy the larger boluses and break them down.
Or
Find a way to offer copper free choice.
Or
Stick with Replamin weekly

If you do decide to try this, I'd be so slow at it. Choose only 1 goat of your herd, so you don't chance losing everyone. Keep Dolomite at hand as a toxicity antidote, or keep it out free choice. And I'd start with like only 1 pellet at a time, certainly not the whole 15 gram scoop.

That is what I'd do if I were to decide to try the product, which does not look like a bad product, just a BUNCH of unknowns.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it is great you are thinking outside the box, because we wouldn't know how to use anything at all for goats if people didn't look past the labeling directions.

Although the ingredients look OK (very good) to me, I'd be so super cautious about using this. The equine has a very different digestion, different metabolism, and a different size!!! than a goat.

This is a different form, the boluses are meant to be given once every so often. This is meant to be given daily. Hard to monitor the effects, if you have reached toxicity or not when the delivery of what you are trying to substitute isn't the same.

@ksalvagno has the best, safest, answer... Buy the larger boluses and break them down.
Or
Find a way to offer copper free choice.
Or
Stick with Replamin weekly

If you do decide to try this, I'd be so slow at it. Choose only 1 goat of your herd, so you don't chance losing everyone. Keep Dolomite at hand as a toxicity antidote, or keep it out free choice. And I'd start with like only 1 pellet at a time, certainly not the whole 15 gram scoop.

That is what I'd do if I were to decide to try the product, which does not look like a bad product, just a BUNCH of unknowns.
I think I might try this... I might call a feed salesperson-thingy and see what they think. I'll be sure to let you know what happens.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Is there a known No-No here?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
Is there a known No-No here?
For horses, no, not really. I prefer non-pelleted supplements in general, just as people dislike pelleted wormers. I've had experience with many things in pellet form for horses, and the results are never as good. But that's not really important, it's an ok product. But goats and horses are incredibly different creatures, and the copper made to be absorbed by horses in these supplements, has completely different reactions for goats. I've done research on equine copper needs and absorption, and you would be amazed how different their needs are. Think like feeding goats a sheep mineral, you know? You don't feed dogs goat food, and vice versa. While they are both livestock, their systems work completely differently.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Actually, I do feed goats a sheep mineral. Many people do, because they run sheep and goats together. And I can't keep my ducks out of my dog food. The difference in species was already being talked about.

I was asking if there was an ingredient that is harmful to goats? Or a manufacturing process that is used in this supplement that is known to be harmful to goats?

I mean, we can't just say, "Goats aren't on the label so we can't use it." Or we would not be able to use much at all on our goats. This is the best site in the world because of information here of HOW to use products OFF LABEL for goats.

I'm not saying this must be used. I'm saying this is a huge bunch of unknowns. The OP should not use it without all the information available.

It is meant to be used frequently, so I won't be using it, as I don't do anything frequently. It is either free choice OR once in a blue moon for me.

But other people are more willing to be right there doing stuff. And we are all beneficiaries of that. The OP has asked a good question and I've given all kinds of cautions. We would both love to learn of concrete objections.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
Wow okay didn't mean to cause a ruckus. I know from experience that most products for horses do not agree with goats. It's as simple as that. I wouldn't risk it just because I have researched and experienced how different their mineral needs and absorption is.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
What I personally feel could be harmful to goats, is the different form of the minerals. Through research I have found horse copper and goat copper -- it's not just copper, it's different forms for different species. Copper Polysaccharide Complex, it's something very often seen in equine products, and I've never seen it in a goat product. This is not a huge alarm bell to me, but it does make me wonder.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
The ONLY copper supplement for horses I have found that does not specify itself as a polysaccharide complex is Cuppra. Although low and behold I can't find the other ingredients anywhere anyway.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
I'd be interested to hear the the manufacturer tells you.

I checked out their website to see if there were any reviews from goat owners but none! I also saw they offer a zinc pellet that is also alfalfa based and thought that could be a very useful tool for those with zinc deficient goats rather than using the Zinpro (which I think is geared towards dogs?) or human zinc supplements.

https://uckele.com/search/?q=copper

·
Super Moderator
58,901 Posts
You have to be careful with giving the advice on copper sulfate. You'd be surprised how many people skip the dolomite part. They read copper sulfate is fine and don't see the second part.

·
Super Moderator
58,901 Posts
You can give copper sulfate free choice but just offer free choice dolomite as well.
For example in this sentence, people will read the copper sulfate free choice but skip over the dolomite part. I realized it isn't a long sentence but many people will only read half of it. Then they come back on and say TGS killed their goat.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
For example in this sentence, people will read the copper sulfate free choice but skip over the dolomite part. I realized it isn't a long sentence but many people will only read half of it. Then they come back on and say TGS killed their goat.
Not my fault how people read what I say. It's there. But I did change it to be extra specific. Thank you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts