The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive looked up pictures and noticed that the lump looks like milk neck but it is a hard lump and is 5 months and has Been weaned for months now. He is a nubian boer cross. I think i have ruled out bottle jaw because the lump is not far on his chin its just wear his chin and neck meet. It is about the size of a quarter. I will post pics later but i need help on what causes CL and would an exceed of penicillin help it?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
CL is a bacteria. No, antibiotics won't do anything to help if it's CL.

A picture can help the experienced folks here tell you what it might be but the only way to tell if it's CL is to let it ripen, lance it, and get the sample tested. The tests aren't 100% positive but it they are fairly good when testing pus.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
If you lance it, make sure to keep him on a cement floor, and be able to burn/sanitize anything that he came in contact with in case it is CL.. If it IS CL, it is highly contagious, and you don't want the puss to get on anything. That's how it will spread. HOPEFYLLY it's not!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tomorrow ill get a picture but is it possible to for it to just be a sist? I don't know if this has anything to do with it but he coughs all the time so at first i gave him 2cc of baytril then that didn't help so about ,a month later i gave him amphacillin....i gave him amphicillin about 5 days ago. He still coughs.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
It could be. Do you have a vet? They can help and if its a cyst or abscess of any type, they can help you lance it safely without spreading any pus. You don't want to get even normal pus all over. But don't cut into anything without knowing what it is or without knowing how to do it safely.

People are very afraid of CL but it can be managed with a lot of care and knowledge. Its not ideal to have around but its not the end of the world. Abscesses in goats are not uncommon but they all should be tested. Testing is the only way you'll know what a cyst is. But you don't even know if this is a cyst yet.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
True. But would it be safe to give him an exceed of penicilin. Which would be 4cc of it...i gave him amphacillin a week ago is that safe

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I'm not sure. I know that if the lump is CL it won't matter one way or the other. I'm not sure a about treatment if its what Stacey suggested. I'm not super experienced and the only things I've done a ton of research on are the big diseases.

He has a cough right? Is he on pen for that? If he has a course of treatment laid out already for the cough I'd stick with it and consider the lump a separate issue until proven otherwise but I might isolate him so as not to make the rest of your herd ill. Coughs can spread unless its allergy related. But if its allergies then he wouldn't need pen.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Call your vet look up cl on the net. Test for cl if you cant draw blood get someone who can . But call the vetif it is cl you need to know asap. It can internalize and that cough can spread the disease. It is highly contagious, if he was born at your place then the mother is probably positive.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
CL is rarely VERY rarely transferred from mother to offspring. There would have to be an open CL abscess inside the uterus for it to be transferred in that way or an open CL abscess in the udder to be transferred through milk. Once a goat internalizes the CL (which isn't as common as it is for sheep) then the animal will decline and be sickly. Lose weight and be lethargic sometimes without any outward cause. But they will be unthrifty and you won't be able to make them well.

It is highly contagious but only through open sore/pus. If there is no open sore outwardly then a CL goat is not spreading the disease unless it is coughing and has internal CL. Blood tests are really poor but it can give you an idea. If there is an abscess it's still wonky for results sometimes but it is more accurate.

There is no need to panic yet sunrisefarms. Can you get us a picture or call out a vet to check out your goat? In the meantime, I would isolate him until you know what's up. If his cough is pneumonia related you don't want him transferring that either.

If his lump is hairless and has gone from hard to soft then it is likely an abscess. You won't know if it's CL unless you sample it. Abscesses can be many things and they don't always look textbook. If it looks like it's going to pop then you want to call out a vet to help you lance and contain that. If it's still hairy then you might be looking at something else or an abscess that is just starting.

The cough and the lump could be 2 separate issues or the same one. You won't know until you test or get a vet to help you.

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
I agree with amyboogie :D

·
Banned
988 Posts
With him being five months old its highly unlikely he has CL. He could have very easily gotten a thorn or sticker in there an it has gotten infected. Not sure if its located in a CL location or not pics will help.

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
Try giving him a little Iodized salt in his feed a few times...see if that lump dont begin to shrink..or Kelp...;)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
If you look at both cl and milk neck on the net it has pictures of both which look like what you have on this goat. If you read up on cl you will see that 30% of the goat population, particularly meat goats are positive for cl.
What is the aversion to calling the vet or at least testing for cl? I guess i dont understand why anyone would risk their herd for a $9 test. I'm not picking on you sunrise in particular, and i'm not an expert on any of these diseases thats why i test every year. What i'm saying is this: If you are worried about it at least get the goat tested.

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
If its iodine def. then he may not be eating enough from his mineral block, regular iodized table salt sprinkled over his grain each day should get the results if this is a goiter....but as enchantedgoats said..its also a CL location...if the salt does not shrink it then you need to consider that possibility...keep a close watch on it..feel it daily..if it begins loosing hair and coming soft..he will need to be penned away from the herd... Best wishes

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I agree.
If it's an abscess it's not ripe and it shouldn't be tested yet anyway. It needs to ripen before you should lance it (and if you've never done that before, get a vet to show you the proper containment procedure).

Your goat is 5 months old. It would be very rare that it's CL this young. Not completely unheard of but very rare. I'm not a vet or an expert but I have done a ton of research on CL. IMO, you shouldn't bother with a blood test for this particular instance. He's young enough that he's got Mom's antibodies and the serology tests are best as a herd test and not individual. There are a lot of false results (negative and positive) in serology testing. You can by all means do one but be wary of the results. You have an abscess (if that's what it is) and while those results still aren't 100% that is the best way to test. If you want to test your whole herd, by all means, that will give you a better base line but it's only catchy by contact with pus. He didn't get this from mom unless in the rare instance she had an open abscess in her uterus.

So, iodine like Cathy said and wait it out. We know that waiting is hard but sometimes it's what you need to do. And keep checking in here as often as you need. Post pictures or just chat if you need to.

Hopefully it's just a goiter and the salt will work.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts