The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Pixie13
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have been trying to learn a little about goat conformation. Lets just say I have much to learn. I have been trying to read everyone's posts concerning conformation, and trying to learn a little that way. It is all very interesting(pros/cons ect.) If it is not too much trouble I would appreciate it if anyone wanted to critique Evie. I would love to show a goat, especially her, but she may not be show worthy. She came from show stock, but I know that doesn't always mean that the kid will make a show goat. She turned 3 months old June 11th
Anyway, no one is going to hurt my feelings or anything. Just shoot me straight. What do you think is good, and bad about her. It may all be bad:eek:
I know that she is not standing correctly, I am all alone for a few days, so I didn't have any one to help me keep her still. I have been working with her, walking her, brushing her ect. Also, does anyone recommend any books on how to learn about conformation, websites ect. Any info. will be greatly appreciated. I will try to get some better pics this weekend when I have help.
Correct me if I am wrong, I was wondering if she is weak in the chine, and maybe has too steep of a rump? Thanks in advance for any comments about her.

Attachments

·
Alpine Addict!
2,264 Posts
If you are looking for really serious opinions, then here ya go :)

She's to steep in the rump, needs to be higher in the withers, would like to see more body capacity.

Love her feet and legs!! They're sooooooo nice!
And she's nice :)

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
She is a little weak in the chine and does have a steep rump but I think she'll do good:)
She looks to set up great and has good body capacity!:)
I love how long her neck is and how feminine she looks.
She has a good brisket also.

I'd show her. That's just me:)

Edit: by body capacity I mean how low her belly goes. She could use a little more wideness I guess.
I like my does to be churchy monkeys before I get them pregnant though:)

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
i'm learning about conformation too, so I don't have much input on that. but this doe is gorgeous!

·
Pixie13
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dayna, thegoatgirl, emilieanne, ncen 7, thank you all so much for the comments. I really wanted to know the good, bad and ugly about her. I was afraid that her rump was too steep, and I was also afraid that her back wasn't straight enough. As far as body capacity ect. I didn't understand how to judge that yet. Emilieanne, thanks for explaining that to me. I would really enjoy showing a goat, but it might be a waste of time with her. She probably wouldn't do very well. Could she still produce nice kids if bred to the right buck? Like I said, no one is going to hurt my feelings, I can only learn what to look for if people are honest with me. I want to improve on my goats if all possible. Maybe she will have some show worthy kids one day!:)

·
8,050 Posts
Show her and see how she does! I think she is beautiful! If you want to get rid of her,
let me know! :) Seriously, she is still young- I think she will develop into a well put
together girl!

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Dayna, thegoatgirl, emilieanne, ncen 7, thank you all so much for the comments. I really wanted to know the good, bad and ugly about her. I was afraid that her rump was too steep, and I was also afraid that her back wasn't straight enough. As far as body capacity ect. I didn't understand how to judge that yet. Emilieanne, thanks for explaining that to me. I would really enjoy showing a goat, but it might be a waste of time with her. She probably wouldn't do very well. Could she still produce nice kids if bred to the right buck? Like I said, no one is going to hurt my feelings, I can only learn what to look for if people are honest with me. I want to improve on my goats if all possible. Maybe she will have some show worthy kids one day!:)
Of course you can show her!!!!
Remember, at all the shows, all the goats aren't perfect. (; there will be good goats and bad goats. I think she would do pretty good in show:)

She will produce nice kids if bred to a great buck. :)

Also, with the while body capacity thing, I didn't really explain why I like my goats chunky. Haha
I like to have them usually like this: this is my doe NOT pregnant.

image-753877289.jpg

Ignore the "caving in" area, she was breathing in and had a hay belly sort of.
Anyway, I like them chunky or meaty so that if they are nursing, just kidded, and gets a case of coccidia or something, just before show she has a little room to loose and still look good!!
I have had this doe:(pregnant with twins)

image-2949079154.jpg

Kid and look like this and have some bad coccidia:

image-2640819941.jpg
Fair was a few weeks away and she wasnt looking good.
I like my animals to look nice and full. :)

Hope that makes sense!!

Attachments

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
With the right buck, she would throw some very nice kids. I would definitely show her, as you never know the competition in your area until you show for the first time!

When you set her up, extend her back legs far and chine her down; this will help straighten her back and level her rump :)

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
She is a tad weak in the chine, and she does have a steep rump. She might also have a bit too much angle in the rear legs.
But she is still a nice doe, I would show her.
And she absolutely will throw nice kids, bred to the right buck.

I'm on my kindle right now, so scrolling up and down over and over again is not very fun. I can judge her when I'm in my computer if you want.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
You don't want to overset her though. And this is very true, you never know what the competition will be.
As for being chunky, I like then to be in good condition all the time, not to fat and not thin. When they are too fat, that can lead to fatty deposits on their ovaries and cause them to have reproductive problems.
Just keep them wormed and creepy crawly free, keep them healthy.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
You don't want to overset her though. And this is very true, you never know what the competition will be.
As for being chunky, I like then to be in good condition all the time, not to fat and not thin. When they are too fat, that can lead to fatty deposits on their ovaries and cause them to have reproductive problems.
Just keep them wormed and creepy crawly free, keep them healthy.
I like mine like your doe is in your avatar picture.

·
Pixie13
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GoatsRock, thanks for the nice comment. I think I will try to show her. I will never learn anything if I don't get out there and try.

Emilieanne, thank you too. Your goats are very beautiful. And I like their chunkiness they look healthy and happy! What type of feed do you prefer? Some people have told me to go to the mill and have my own mix made up. Is this what I should do, or do you prefer a certain brand of goat feed.

TrinityRanch, thank you for your imput, and for the instruction for how to set her up better. I will try that:)

Little-Bits-N-PiecesADG, Thank you also. I would love for you to judge her and tell me what you think. Thank you for your previous comments as well. Belive it or not I have already learned a lot from you all. I can also see what you mean about the angle in the rear legs. I didn't catch that before.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
GoatsRock, thanks for the nice comment. I think I will try to show her. I will never learn anything if I don't get out there and try.

Emilieanne, thank you too. Your goats are very beautiful. And I like their chunkiness they look healthy and happy! What type of feed do you prefer? Some people have told me to go to the mill and have my own mix made up. Is this what I should do, or do you prefer a certain brand of goat feed.

TrinityRanch, thank you for your imput, and for the instruction for how to set her up better. I will try that:)

Little-Bits-N-PiecesADG, Thank you also. I would love for you to judge her and tell me what you think. Thank you for your previous comments as well. Belive it or not I have already learned a lot from you all. I can also see what you mean about the angle in the rear legs. I didn't catch that before.
I think you should go get your own made up:)
I honestly, switch from diff feed to diff feed everytime we go. Usually what they get is sweet feed.
Just before fair though, they get peanut hay & coastal for a month. Then at fair we give them alfalfa pellets along with calf mana & their feed.
Thank you for the compliments though:) and you are welcome for the info!:)

·
RussellP
536 Posts
That girl is dainty and prissy, judges love that! It would be like showing a whitetail deer against wildabeast. She is awesome!

·
Pixie13
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Little-Bits-N Pieces-ADG, and Emilieanne, thanks again for all of your help. I will try to keep her in between. Not to fat or thin. Thanks telling me what you feed before and during show.

russellp- Thanks for commenting. She is a dainty little gal,and she does like to prance around like a little deer ! I love her to death. I know she lacks in certain areas, but she makes up for it with all her sweetness.:D

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Little-Bits-N Pieces-ADG, and Emilieanne, thanks again for all of your help. I will try to keep her in between. Not to fat or thin. Thanks telling me what you feed before and during show.

russellp- Thanks for commenting. She is a dainty little gal,and she does like to prance around like a little deer ! I love her to death. I know she lacks in certain areas, but she makes up for it with all her sweetness.:D
You're so welcome!:)
Hopefully she does good for you!!:)

·
Pixie13
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Emilieanne, thanks for all your help. Maybe sometime I can try her out and see how she does. No matter what happens, I think it will be a fun experience.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts