Could you breed a Nubian this 'late' in the season?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by riaketty, Mar 13, 2009.

1. riaketty

riaketty New Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Millersport, Ohio
    We just found out our Nubian who we thought was pregnant, well, isn't. I know it's really really late to breed her, but is there any way it's possible? I THINK she has gone into heat recently, so she's cycling...

(Also, note: Impulse buying and Craigslist sucks for goat buying. We bought a doe and a 'bred' doe... the 1st doe had CAE and the 'bred' doe apparently is not bred. UGH. Money down the drain. I could have bought from a reputable, CAE-tested, preg-tested breeder had I just calmed my excitement and had some patience. :(

2. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Yes you can breed her...as long as she is cycling, but you won't have babies until august. How old is she? I would probably wait and just breed her this fall. Sorry about your goats. :(

3. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    You can certainly breed her if she's cycling and old enough. However, I think it's rare to find a Nubian cycling this time of year. I'm guessing you will have to wait until late summer or early fall.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    some nubians will into the spring at least. The latest I have heard of a nubian cycling though is March so she may not cycle again until August

5. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    Most of my nubians quit cycling in February if not bred by then. That heat may have been her last till the fall,and if not then you probably only have another cycle to go. I've read sites that say some nubians may cycle year round, but it's never happened with mine... :shrug:

6. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    I would also point out kidding is NO fun the heat of the summer, and the kids birthdate always throws off the scedule of things. Like you couldnt breed her kid for winter-spring kidding till she was two years old. Also the kids seem to stress when the weather changes and generally dont have the vigor of kids born early in the season.