Couple questions about goats

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Nubiansrus, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    I have a couple questions. The coldest it gets is around 40 degrees usually at night. Tonight its supposed to break records and be around 20. I have two 6 weeks old babies I got from an auction. Ive had them for 2 weeks. One feed from the bottle and one does not. Are they gonna be warm enough outside? I have no heat for them, but they do have a large wood house for shelter.

Also.

Can goats eat mildew hay? Even pregnant ones?

I have always feed my goats the good horse hay, but hubby insists this gross mildew hay he got for cheap will be fine for the goats. What do you think?

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Please do not feed them moldy hay - it WILL kill them or at the very least make them VERY sick. They cannot handle it like cows can.

As long as they have a nice warm, thick bed of straw or wasted hay, all should be well.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    mildew hay can cause listerious. More then likey the goats will not eat it though -- they are very picky eaters. Please dotn feed it due to the health risk.

Now if only one or two laps are moldy and the rest is fine, I would get rid of the moldy stuff and then feed the good stuff (I have done that before).

As to the night temp.....add extra beeding and they will be fine

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree....

5. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Thank you for those that posted. I needed proof that it wasnt just me being "paranoid" as he says. He listened and did not feed the bad hay. :)

6. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Agree with the above, don't feed the hay.

And if they are use to 40degree temps and its going to be quite a bit colder, add straw for extra warmth. :thumb: