The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to put weight on three goats. A 10 year old Nigerian Dwarf doe who is about dried up. She is not badly underweight, but with winter coming around I would like to get a few extra pounds on her. Showing starts in may/june and I don't want to be playing catch up, either.
Second, a 3 year old Nigerian Dwarf doe whom I am milking once a day. Up until 2 weeks ago, she was nursing triplets who were about three months old. I would like to keep milking her for maybe 2-3 weeks longer, longer than that if I can get rid of the goaty taste in her milk. I don't want too much milk, I can only make so much soap! :p She is pretty thin and with winter around the corner, she needs more weight. I will also be showing her next year starting in may/june.
Last but not least, I have an 8 (we think) month old Boer % doe. She is not too underweight, but I would say she weighs maybe 80-90 pounds. My main goal for the Boer doe (annie) is to gain weight, but also muscle, since I will also be showing her starting in may/june.
I have a limited selection of feed available to me. There are a few supplements (they are costly) and I would like to wait to feed those (if I even have to) closer to showing season to save on costs. Currently what I have on had is Purina Noble Goat 16%, Animax (same thing as calf manna, just cheaper) and an 8% wet cob. Now, I know people hate Purina, and cob mixes, but that is all I can get, so if you have a problem with those feeds, please keep those comments to yourself. ;)
I am wondering how much of each feed I should feed per goat, and if anyone knows how many cups or quarts equals a pound for each food, that would be great, too. I don't have access to a scale ATM.

Thanks!!! :D

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
Sure you have access to a scale. Put a cup of each food into a baggie, take them with you to the post office, and put on the cute pitiful face for the postmaster ;)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure you have access to a scale. Put a cup of each food into a baggie, take them with you to the post office, and put on the cute pitiful face for the postmaster ;)
The feed store has a scale I could probably use. Haha.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jill, how much would you suggest feeding?

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
I think I can get some of your weights after chores. There's an old bag of noble goat in my store room.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool, thanks!

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anyone have any feeding recommendations?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts