The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to goats & have been posting on the beginner forum but more ppl are reading this 1 & at this point I just have a couple quick, random questions:

1) I have an 8 day old pygmy doe who, the past 2 days, has become absolutely OBSESSED w/my hair..she goes right for it as often as she gets the chance, if I put it in a tight bun, she pulls it out & I can hear her chomping on it like it's hay (she has 24/7 1st cut hay...as well as her bottles, obviously) is that normal or is she trying to tell me she needs something? Stupid question, I know, but sometimes eating weird things can mean they're not getting something their body needs...

2) I also have a 4yo wether that seems to be pretty good w/the 2 youngsters (8 day old Marlee & 8wk old Chloe) but I've seen him bite (& once,hold) their ears..they dont yell or anything so I assume he isn't biting hard & I've stopped him both times but..why is he doing that? Is it play? Dominance? Should I stop it or let it go?

Last, I've read that the males like to hang out together, we have the opportunity to get 1 more wether, would that make him happier & less likely to bother the little ones (again, he's pretty good, but maybe he could be even better?), or would we then simply have to watch 2 w/the little ones? Right now he's stuck w/2 young females..would he be happier w/another man around? Also, if it matters, Bambi has horns & the other wether we're interested in does not...

Thanks!!! :kidred:

·
Registered
617 Posts
Our babies like to nibble at our girls hair,I think just something they do at that age,your wether probably will be fine with the goats you have just has to get used to them.the little ones will be fine once they are old enough,month or two,they can run and defend themselves a bit,but keep an eye on them so they don't get hurt.i don't think it matters if there is another male around as long as you don't have one goat buy himself

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
my 5 wk old buckling used to chew on my hair when he was 2-3 wks old, but he doesn't seem to do it anymore. now he likes to chew on my fingers.....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol ok, I wasn't terribly worried about the hair thing, just wanted to be sure ;-) & Bambi will just have to get used to having the ladies to himself :D

·
I'm watching you
22,153 Posts
Yes, and the ear biting thing is how a mother goat disiplines her children or the herd leader keeps everyone in line. If you leave the wether on his own, he will take over the buck spot in the herd and protect the does.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I believe the hair chewing thing is normal. The babies always love my daughters hair. The wether will be fine with the babies in a few weeks. I wouldn't leave the babies in with him all the time unmonitored as he could easily hurt them at their age they are now. And, i don't think it's necessary to get the other wether, the one you have will be perfectly fine with the babies, male or female, he won't care.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome, thank you so much! I will leave all the way it is. I'm happy w/3 for now as long as they're all ok. :D

·
1,524 Posts
My adult goats will turn around on the milk stand and chew on my hair. Most people who have goats and horses complain about the goats eating the horses tail right down to the stub.

My Lamancha does love to grab hold of the eared goats and bite down or pull. I think it's a case of ear envy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts