The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a funny story:
A month ago, one of my pregnant mommas, #20 and has a hernia, had her babies. She's one of my best goats. Corona was born first, then friendly Covid was born second. Both boys, and both very handsome. I'm going to keep both for breeding in the future. Covid, for sure, is going to be one of my best bucks.
I have this system where my pregnant mommas are inside a building, along with young babies and their moms. Outside I have babies that are older and strong enough to live through the weather. I only have a few moms out there with them. I separate the babies from their moms after they're three months old. One day, I was moving some goats around and decided to let Corona and Covid outside, along with their mom. They're strong, healthy, and thick. All of the other goats stay away from them. I wonder why?:haha:
I just LOVE Covid. He's bigger than Corona and has a really nice temperament. Whenever I'm in the goat pen, he's on my boot, nibbling the top of it. He BEGS for attention. He especially loves it when I scratch the top of his head. I've even seen his black horns starting to sprout up.
Here's a picture of Covid when he was inside the building.
IMG_9432.jpg

·
8,177 Posts
Nice looking kid! How did the doe with the hernia do with her pregnancy? Where is the hernia? (I'm curious, I had a doe with an umbilical hernia and the vet was sure she would never survive a pregnancy).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No problems with the pregnancy. Her hernia is right in front of her utter. It pushed her utter farther back, so it was kind of hard for the babies to get to the milk. The mom is one of my best mommas.

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
Do know, hernia's are inherited.
It is not wise to use offspring for breeding purposes.
I am surprised mama goat survived this pregnancy.
I wouldn't breed her again.

Very nice kid, it is sad mama has a hernia. :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts