Cow Diarrhea

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Green Mountain Farm, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Green Mountain Farm

Green Mountain Farm Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2019
    Virginia
    Hello all!
    I am not an expert on cow health. My cow started having diarrhea and I don't know why. Can you help me think of reasons that could cause this? It looks like liquified feces and it smells pretty bad (and I don't have a sensitive nose so that's saying something).

2. lovinglife

lovinglife Active Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Southern Idaho
    How old is the cow and what are you feeding?

3. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Is she having trouble shedding her winter coat?

Green Mountain Farm likes this.
  4. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Do they have nice green pasture right now? Have you wormed them this spring yet? I ask about the pasture because it does happen when it greens up in spring. They go from dry hay to lush greens and it takes them a bit to acclimate to it. How old is the cow? If it a young calf i would suspect cocci or ecoli here. It has been really wet for us though.

5. Green Mountain Farm

Dec 31, 2019
    Virginia
    A year-old in May and we feed her sweet feed made for cattle.

6. Green Mountain Farm

Dec 31, 2019
    Virginia
    Not that I know of. I was brushing her and she seemed to have lots of shedding.

7. Green Mountain Farm

Dec 31, 2019
    Virginia
    The pasture hasn't grown as fast as it usually does this spring. And she hasn't been dewormed I was looking into doing that right before this happened. Again, I'm new to this.
    She's almost a year-old.
    What's your favorite dewormer?

8. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
  9. Grassland Goats

Grassland Goats Member

May 24, 2018
    Iowa
    I would try giving it a few days maybe putting her by herself and making sure she is eating before jumping to conclusions, if there is anything I've learned this past week is to be patient animals were originally in the wild all on their own. Does she have any hay or bale of any sort?

10. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    But she still has fresh green where she has been on hay mostly right? We do ivermectin pour on for the cows.

11. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I agree green pasture makes some very loose poo. We have some nasty nasty girls right now! Any way you can get a pic of the cow and her poop. I know gross. The height of grass doesn’t mean much, just a FYI, good green grass is still good green grass and actually with it growing slower it’s probably higher in protein ;)

Sfgwife and Nigerian dwarf goat like this.
  12. Green Mountain Farm

Dec 31, 2019
    Virginia
    I know she is eating all her feed. And we feed her hay in the winter but the grass is getting long so we decided to stop feeding that. She is in a lot almost 10-acres.

13. Green Mountain Farm

Dec 31, 2019
    Virginia
    Yes, she has enough grass and such to eat. It's just not extremely long and lush.

14. Green Mountain Farm

Dec 31, 2019
    Virginia
    I will upload a photo ASAP. We dewormed her with CORID this morning because that's what we had and I wanted to get on it quickly, some said to try Ivermectin but I didn't see that until after I dewormed.
    It's not extremely green but there's enough of it that we just feed grain now. But the poo isn't just loose, it's watery.
    And don't worry about it being gross - you're talking to a tomboy here. :)

15. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Corid is not a wormer. It is for coccidia hon. And most likely it is the green grass poops. :)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  16. Green Mountain Farm

Dec 31, 2019
    Virginia
    Yes that’s what I meant, haha! Someone on here said she might have coccidia. I had ivermectin but didn’t see the messages about that until after using the CORID this morning. My goats are prone to coccidia, could that mean anything? Maybe we just live in a place that has a large population of coccidia?

17. Green Mountain Farm

Dec 31, 2019
    Virginia
    I don’t have a picture of just the poo but there’s quite a bit on her tail. Ferdinand, the other cow, stepped in it and I couldn’t find another pile. Should I deworm him too? I also have a horse in with her.
    Also, any tips of hoof care would be helpful. 01B1588C-065B-4D7A-BE37-F4D450B4DDE0.jpeg 32491F75-D2CC-4E9B-BA27-C0C4F833E5C9.jpeg

18. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Really that doesn’t look bad BUT I see what you are saying about the grass and if the other cow doesn’t have the same thing going on, if she was mine I would worm. A fecal is always best to do but I treat my cows a bit deferent then the goats and mainly go off of looks. That’s me though and I’m not here to debate ;)
    You also started her on Corid. I would go ahead and make sure that you keep going with that. I don’t think that is the issue but you don’t want to start something and then stop.
    For her feet, you will have to hire someone to trim her feet. Usually they will come In with a squeeze table and when she goes in they will put her on her side and trim her feet. You MIGHT be able to lift her front feet up but she is not going to be happy about her back and she will probably kick you. Depending on her you can try to get to her when she is laying down and see if she will let you rasp her feet. I’m not seeing her just laying for that but she’s not my cow, she might be very nice about things like that. I also wonder if maybe your vet can give her something to make her a bit loopy and he/she can trim them for you. It won’t hurt to ask! Mine keep them down on their own so I have no idea.
    Also what is she?! She looks like a little jersey cross to me but I have to know lol

19. lovinglife

lovinglife Active Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Southern Idaho
    I would give her hay once a day as well.

20. Green Mountain Farm

Dec 31, 2019
    Virginia
    That's some great feedback, thank you!
    I finished her CORID dose today and the diarrhea seems to have stopped.
    I will ask my vet about the hooves. I didn't know getting someone to do it for you was a thing!
    And her Father is a polled A2A2 Jersey and her mother is 1/2 shorthorn, 1/2 Jersey. Isn't she pretty?! :)