Cows - so many questions ...

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by kelebek, Nov 23, 2009.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am curious, as I have never owned cattle, how your goats do around the cows.....

We are looking to bring in 2-4 cows this week that are 8-9 months old. I don't think they have ever been around goats before.

Does anyone have any pointers? The goats are going to be in an area that they can get away from the cattle and be safe, but I have never had cows.....

The cattle are Holstein or Guersney crossed with Red Angus.

Also, do you happen to know how much these cows might eat in a week. I have 600# rounds that I am looking at putting out for them - but want to make sure that I have enough for the winter as we are going to butcher in Spring.

Thank you!!!

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    If yours goats are all tested Johnes free then I would test the cows before you bring them onto your property cause they can have it as well.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had NO clue that they can carry it also!

4. Iwantgoats

Iwantgoats New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Missouri
    I have two Hol/Angus cross cows. I occasionally run my goats with them. I grain my cows a scoop every evening. More because their spoiled than anything. I feed about a square bale a day to them. The only issue I really have is keeping my little greedy goats out of the cows feed when their trying to eat. :)

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yes, I believe the disease originated in Cattle but any ruminate can get it.

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Hehehe - right now the cows and the goats will be eating the same hay - so if anything the goats would just get fat ..... but I think once I switch back to the Alfalfa towards January / February, then they will leave the cow hay alone.

I have another 3 acre pen on the opposite side of the driveway that i can put the cows in until I got their Johnes test back.... would that be far enough away? The goats don't ever use this pen because there is no shelter on it.......

What kind of grain do you grain them with - and is that to condition for butcher?