coyote problems?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by CodyMyGoat, Feb 24, 2009.

1. CodyMyGoat

CodyMyGoat New Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Washington!
    i have no clue where this belongs, but anyway-

Just moments ago a coyote burst out of no where- our wether and doe were both behind the fence in the way back of the field....it appeared that the coyote was chasing our doe, who ended up on the side of the road, the coyote ran off after we made lots of noise but our doe has a scratch on her udder (which we treated). my question is, has anyone ever had coyote problems with a year old goat??

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    as far as coyotes, I personally have not had issues, but I have 10 foot game fencing - but as humans push more and more into their lands they will start looking for more food in "our" backyards.

They will come after adult, baby, and elder goats - depending on how hungry they are.

I hope your doe will be alright!

3. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Coyotes will go after anything they think is an easy meal, 1 year old does included. If that doe kidded or is in milk they will smell her from miles away. This is why LGD's are so important. They try to keep your stock safe and alert you to strangers, animal or human.

4. CodyMyGoat

CodyMyGoat New Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Washington!

she's fine, just a bit shakin'... They've never even tried to come after our wether...though he is about 4 feet tall...

We're are working on a better fence now :worried:

5. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    coyotes often run in packs, unless it was a lone male you saw. So if you can I would lock your goaties up. Have you ever heard them howling, often done at sunset or real early in the morning, the ones at my stepdads farm we hear about 4 am. And he raises herford cows, hes lost a few babies to them. So I would think they could easily take down a goat, especially if you have a pack of them. Do you have pet dogs?? Do they ever act funny if you do? If so they could be hearing them outside.

6. CodyMyGoat

CodyMyGoat New Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Washington!

Coyote problem is not new, lol. We hear them howling a LOT. One of our dogs will go nuts barking at them...

7. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Not to still this thread, but how high a fence will keep them at bay? Our dogs have awaken us in the middle of the night and they (coyotes) will be standing in our front yard or we have caught them snooping around the barns......and yes, our inside dogs go nuts when they hear them.

8. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    What they can't go over they will go under to get at a meal if hungry enough.

9. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    So do most lock their goats up at night.....or maybe I should ask, should I lock my goats up at night?....I only have 2 wethers and no LGD :? .

10. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    If they are getting enough to eat elsewhere you may not have a problem. But depending on the weather they may want to go after your goats. I had a problem with fox taking guineas and chickens until I dug my wire into the ground. I noticed they would take them when it was real cold or the weather was bad. They even took a large male turkey that was in the goat pasture. I got my llama after that. And shot 4 fox ( sorry if that offends anyone, but had to keep my goats safe). Oh and I do keep mine locked up at night right now. That way I feel safer. Otherwise I would be a mess everytime I heard something I would run outside :hair:

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have 4foot panels as fence and yes I do lock up my goats at night, the summer months all the windows are open as well as the "goat doors"..haven't heard any around here in a while but there has been sightings of bob cats and a mountain lion. So yes, better safe than sorr, I do lock my goats in the sheds at night.

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I would shoot them in a heartbeat also.

My DH says that he has seen a coyote on the property one night, I haven't. But with the horses, a rott and 2 Mastiffs, we have it pretty good right now.

I would definately lock your goats up for a bit when you are not out there to watch them

13. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Yes coyotes are here. Thank God we have an LGD. Please get one if you possibly can.
    One morning at 3am ours was barking and jumping at the south fence. There were a pair of them int he neighbor's yard. I didnt wake up but the neighbors sure did.
    In Sept or Oct while we had a visiting buck the dog was seperated. One morning I found him in with the goats. Later that week I learned that a cougar had been spotted in the area.
    Codymygoat, where abouts are you?

14. DopeyOpie

DopeyOpie New Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Canada
    We have a few coyotes here too. We never used to have a problem because our doggies Paws and Coco would stay outside all night (their choice) and if they heard coyotes they'd chase them away. But Coco has since passed, and Paws is getting up there in age and lazyness. That's why we got Yukon, our pyr/gsd cross. Liam, our Irish Wolfhound Sammoyed cross, has never been much of a guard dog. By some miracle, that changed! The dogs sleep inside the house and are in and out all day. If they hear coyotes or any trouble, they'll go crazy trying to get outside. It can be a pain to get up at 3 am to let them outside LOL, but they do their "job".

There was one night a few weeks ago, when Paws and Liam would NOT come inside. Well the next morning we found a dead coyote very close to the goats pen! :shocked: I don't know what we'd do without our doggies.

15. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
  16. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    We have quite a few coyotes around here, unfortunately. My neighbors have lost several animals to them, including some smaller dogs... :( .I have not had any trouble with them attacking my goats--my goats spend the night behind pannels with wire shelving buried around the base. I know the coyotes could scale the pannels if they were really motivated, but it has not been an issue as of yet...there is easier prey elsewhere. When there are kids, they will spend the night shut in the barn where I know they are safe.

17. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Once I saw a coyote in broad daylight VERY close to our fence ..... It was huge! :shocked: I have since moved and gotten a LGD who really does his job, no more coyotes! :thumb:

18. CodyMyGoat

CodyMyGoat New Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Washington!

Meaning where do i live?? I've been sick and honestly can't think straight...

19. deenak

deenak Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    We have coyotes down by the creek near our house I haven't seen them up by the barn but we do put all of the goats and the poultry in the barn at night

20. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    We have heard coyotes on our neighbor's hill which is right near our driveway but we have the Pyrenees now though and we have heard a bobcat near by as well.