Coyote raid - can I use the meat?

Discussion in 'Chickens & Poultry' started by Feira426, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Feira426

Feira426 Active Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    Two coyotes raided our chicken coop this morning and killed five birds.
    :(

I chased them off and am now wondering if it would be okay to butcher the chickens and use the meat. I'm thinking if I discard the parts that were obviously in contact with coyote mouths, this should be safe. But wondering if any of you more experienced chicken folks can speak from experience on the matter? I'd hate to waste them, but of course I don't want to risk making my family sick.

They got our best rooster, sadly. Never seen them this close to the house before. Will have to make some changes to keep everyone else safe now.

Trollmor and GoofyGoat like this.
  2. cristina-sorina

cristina-sorina Well-Known Member

May 4, 2018
    Northeast Ohio
    Im so sorry about your chickens, that's awful!
    Personally I would not eat that meat, you don't know if the coyotes were rabid, if they had any other number of illnesses. If your chickens were bit then they have basically been inoculated with whatever disease the coyote had. As much of a waste as it seems I would not risk potential illness.

3. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

I would not eat that meat. But i surely would use it as bait on another part of my property and go coyote huntin.....

4. Feira426

Feira426 Active Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    All right - thanks, guys.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Do not eat them.

So sorry that happened. :(

6. Chris488

Chris488 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Upstate NY
  7. J4Julz

J4Julz Active Member

Mar 3, 2020
    Mid-Michigan
    It is a shame to waste it, but probably the best use is bait if you have traps for coons and such. I put them in the freezer for when I need them.

Around here, raccoons are the primary vector for rabies in the wild population. We have an awful lot of coyotes around too, but I don’t know about their rabies susceptibility

Feira426 likes this.
  8. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

It always amazes me that people say these things that others have told them that others have told them. Every state has a vector map look yours are bats mostly.
    5b80784e4c779.image.jpeg

9. goathiker

With the chicken no, adrenaline poisons the meat. Anything that is run hard is poisonous to man.

GoofyGoat likes this.
  10. J4Julz

J4Julz Active Member

Mar 3, 2020
    Mid-Michigan
    @goathiker: I could edit to say “one of the primary vectors”- would that cool your indignation at my apparent ignorance?

I guess getting my information from my veterinarians and the DNR has no value here? We have been tracking the westward progress of rabies in raccoons for the last 20 yrs, with the DNR collecting dead & trapped raccoons for testing locally. Rabies in raccoons are a cause for concern because they can bite and transmit the infection to horses and other livestock. If my horse is not vaccinated, and appears to have been bitten, my farm will be quarantined for 6 mos. by the State veterinarian.

“The majority of reported cases occur in wild animals such as raccoons, skunks, bats, and foxes.“ from https://www.michigan.gov/emergingdiseases/0,4579,7-186-76711_78041---,00.html

11. goathiker

At least you didn't say carried by lol. People seem to think some of these animals just walk around infecting everything without being sick themselves.
    It's really weird to me that while every vertebrate has the ability to get rabies it's almost always bats that actually passes it on.
    Raccoons also carry false rabies which can be passed to pigs and then to the humans that eat pork.

You know we developed oral rabies vaccines and, for a while, were dropping them in bait balls all over the forest in some states. The program was working really well and then they just stopped doing it...

J4Julz likes this.
  12. J4Julz

J4Julz Active Member

Mar 3, 2020
    Mid-Michigan
    Probably lost funding because, idk, it wasn’t directly affecting our pets?

Just glad that I am not required to give goats a rabie$ vaccine