The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this big cashmere whether who weighs about 110 pounds. Every time he takes a step, his front knees make a loud cracking noise. If he steps with his right leg it cracks, and vice versa. He is about five and has done this for as long as I have had him constantly. It doesn't seem to bother him in the least, I was just wondering if anyone knew what causes it? I thought maybe it was just because he was stiff, but always happens even if he has been up walking around all day. I can tell it's the joint of his front knees doing it. Any ideas as to what this is would be appreciated!!

·
166 Posts
Im so glad you asked this I have a doe that does this but not when she walks only when I pick her legs up to set her up or trim hooves (Sorry I didnt mean to Hijack your post)

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,072 Posts
Has he been CAE tested? Are his legs straight? I have found sometimes goats with "nobby knees" have more of a tendency to do this.

·
2,203 Posts
Sometimes they start getting arthritis early in life. Even without CAE, they are prone to natural aging of course. It may get worse with age though so keep an eye out.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
If they've been tested & are negative & in a negative herd, what do you think it could be?
Is it possible that they just run too much?

·
2,203 Posts
No, I've never tested him for CAE. He is a little knock kneed, could that be what's causing it?
Yup! Uneven wear on the joints speeds up arthritis and aging.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Some of my goats do that too. CAE free, I only buy from clean herds. Must just be from aging?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Should I do anything about it, if he has arthritis? Or just let him be? Like I said I don't think it hurts him.

·
2,203 Posts
Should I do anything about it, if he has arthritis? Or just let him be? Like I said I don't think it hurts him.
If he doesn't skid his feet or pick them up to hold them, grind his teeth, or sway while he stands, he's probably ok. If it does start to bother him they do acupuncture or aspirin.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I don't know about goats, but we give our horses a joint supplement like cosequin when they start getting arthritic :) (joints popping, any stiffness) the cracking noise is the uneven cartilage crunching and sliding against the other cartilage

Like I said, I don't know if they do this for goats or not, but I hope it helps a tiny bit :)

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Lol when I wake up, my knees are locked up and my elbows and shoulders are stiff, I'm gunna be 16 in August.
Guess that's arthritis too?? Lol so ladies, you're not old, just hard workers I guess!!;P

1 - 20 of 33 Posts