The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had a few goat ads up on Craigslist to sell some kids. They have been posted for about two months. I have had little interest but now it seems I am getting emails for them left and right. Funny how things work out! I was getting discouraged for a while and thought I'd be keeping all these kids.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
X2 to that Stacey. It can be frustrating also when you make a date for someone to come see this goat on a certain day, and then another interested person emails with cash right now ready to buy the goat. What does everyone else do in this situation? I certainly want to keep my word, so I am giving the first person a chance but if they cannot come through on that day, the next person has the opportunity.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I will only hold a goat same day and when the person gives me a time or arrival window to be fair to them and give them a chance to make an hour + drive. I have had people say they won't hold things I want to buy on CL even if I say I am on the way and I know I won't make an hour long drive if I don't know they'll hold it for me while I'm on the road, so I do that much, but only that much.

I tell the person with cash in hand they are welcome to come right after the other person and can call me before they leave to determine if the goat is still there. (so if someone will be there at 4, the cash in hander can come at 5)

I then call the first person back to confirm they are coming and let them know I have someone with cash in hand coming at 5 and I will still hold the goat for them so long as they get here for their appointment, but that I will not extend the hold beyond 5 pm.

Works every time.

The other thing I've done is tell everyone who is interested to arrive at a time convenient with me. (such as between 2-4 pm on a saturday). I let them know several folks are coming and I expect cash payment. They can call before they come to confirm the goats are still there.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
in those situations.. I kinda go by my feelings on the person.. We had one person we had a weird feeling about, but we still gave them the benefit of the doubt, and told the other person that we would let them know if they didn't want the goats... They person never showed up and when we contacted the next person, they had already got some else where... If we had gone with our guy they would have been gone sooner lol!

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I can see holding the animal for the day, but as a buyer I would be so ticked if you had more then one person coming at the same time. When I got my trailer I dove 2 hours, looked at the trailer, told her I wanted it right as someone else drove up to purchase it. I did get the trailer, but I was still mad how she did it, If I would have been 5 min. later I would not have ended up with it. I could even see holding the animal or what ever that morning for the first guy and telling the second guy someone was already coming but would call asap and if I still had it we can set a time in the after noon

·
Super Moderator
58,877 Posts
I find Craigslist works in waves too. Also find interesting that either everyone wants a bottle baby or no one wants a bottle baby. I'm still trying to figure out if there is a definite pattern on when people are looking in my area. I just haven't paid attention enough to figure it out now.

I go with my gut on how long I will wait for someone to come and see goats. I've learned a few lessons so I've gotten pretty good about figuring people out.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
in a situation with a set date for a buyer to come look at an animal and another wants to come sooner and take with cash I evaluate the people and usually I will contact the first person via phone and tell them the situation if they can answer before the second wants to leave (and i feel its a better home or equal) I let them take the animal. See I ALWAYS state that unless a deposit is given I DO NOT HOLD a goat even with a verbal "we will be there on X date" Ive had no shows, Ive had cancellations (next day!) and everyone is told up front that the goats is still available to the first person to give me cash. I will be sure to let the first contact know that the goat was sold so they dont come out looking to buy or at least see the animal and its not there or its being held on deposit. Thats only fair.

If a goat has a deposit I wont show it to another buyer as available. Thats unethical, its sale pending and if they want to be notified if the sale falls through Im happy to do so, but I dont take multiple deposits or even sell a goat and let it leave if I already have a deposit on it. Regardless if the person wants to give me full price cash and take right then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts