Crap scared out of me!

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by kelebek, Jul 14, 2008.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    So we stopped and picked up Mini Me from the "goatie sitter" down below our hill on the way home from work. She was so happy to see me and doing so well. She played outside most of the day and is just plain tired.

We come up the drive and my husband puts the car in park by our far pen where our quarter horse and 3 dogs are. We always stop and let the dogs out and let them follow us up to the house for the night. As he is getting out of the car - I look over to the other pen - as something just does not seem right. I yelled at him "DO NOT LET THE DOGS OUT- ALL THE ANIMALS ARE LOOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I could see some goats and sheep in the yard but I couldn't see my horse and her colt. I was PANICKED!

I ran inside to put mini me in the kennel and change (I was wearing a skirt, heels, and a white shirt) I came flying back out pulling my shirt over my head - to see my horse and colt around the corner. **Phew** I knew I could get all the goaties back with a grain bucket (they never wander far) and the sheep - well lets hope they come back sometime if they run off - but I was terrified that the horses ran off and we don't have a trailer if they went far.

We rounded up the horse and her colt (was not to happy about going back in away from the green grass and the hay), got all the goaties in (did a head count - all accounted for) and now it was the sheeps turn...... they are so wild and so that was interesting.

At first I was yelling at my hubby as he is the one who feeds in the mornings, so that I can milk, but quickly had to apologize. I thought that he had not bungy corded the gate (he didn't fix it when the guy came to get manure a month ago) and the UV rays ate away at the cord along with the NEW BIG goats on the fence - it just snapped. We really looked at it, as we are having issues with a neighbor calling the sherriff on us making up lies about our dogs running loose, and thought that maybe he had cut it - but nope - it just broke.

I am just now getting my heart rate back to normal - everyone is REALLY full and happy and where they are supposed to be. We did put a little hay out there (only 1/2 of normal feeding) and they picked at it and walked away - they have all gorged themselves - LOL!

Good news though, I got almost double the milk from my milker today.... coincidence? LOL!

So, we had 8 W-I-L-D sheep with 5 babies, 14 goats, a momma horse and her colt running loose when we got home! AGGHHHHH!

2. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    It's always so scary when the animals are not where they should be. I'm glad it all worked out.
    BTW mostly hosres don't go too far from good grass unless they are really firghtened, very lonely or you have an inveterate escapist. My foxtrotters stop at the first good grass- I call it "food tied."

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh gosh! About a month ago 8 of our horses were out in a makeshift, but BIG pasture. Well I go over there to check on them. They had gotten through the wire it seemed and ran off. Our place is practically in the middle of no where. So I wan't real worried we own about 500 acres around the pasture. So i'm looking and looking and looking. Well, I couldn't find them. I was so scared! My heart was racing and I was panicking and having an emotional breakdown. I just started crying and bawling my eyes out. So I said a little prayer to please help me find them, at this point I thought they were stolen. I look up and waaaaaay over the hill I see a horse running! So I get over there and THANK GOD they were all there!!! Oh my gosh, I was still shaken the rest of the day after that incident. Makes me realize how dear they are to me and how lucky I am to have them. But it was soooooo scary!!! We have theives all over the area around here so I really thought they were stolen! Thank God they were just having a blast running around through hay fields and over hills!!!

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    That would have had me going nuts too....and the fact that they are safe now is a relief. I panic when I call for them and they don't come to the gate! They are laying in the barn out of the sun and just don't feel like answering me...stinkers! Good thing you didn't have to "find" them.

5. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    It happens all the time here. So not too scary. About 3 months ago, I was in the bathroom getting ready for a shower, half undressed. Then I hear Daisy right outside the window. What? So I thrown my clothes on, rush outside, and all the goaties and sheepies were out, eating a bunch of palnts of ours. They don't give me any trouble. I just say ''Goaties'' and they come galloping into the barn. Turns out the gate wasn't latched perfectly. Oh, well. All better.
    Ashlyn

6. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I just had that experience yesterday morning! I had 9 goats out by the pond....good thing all i have to do is yell GIRLS!!! and they all come running....i thought someone was opening my gate because they kept getting out when we would make certain that the gate was latched. I chaged latches to one that i thought was goat proof and made sure it was locked the night before they got out....got up yesterday morning and got ready for work when my cousin comes in and tells me that all the goats were out by the pond. I think that someone is coming and unlocking the gate.....not sure but that is what i think and hubby laughs at me for thinking that. Either we have some houdinis or someone keeps letting them out.

7. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Oh Man, when I come home I always breath a sign of relief when everybody is where I left them! We are on a busy highway, I'm afraid if they got out I'd come home to a massacre. But, that's me, I always fear the worst. I'm so happy you got everyone back in one piece! :leap: