Crazy billy

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Breezy, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Breezy

Breezy Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Georgia
    I just want to follow up and thank you all for your replies! I weighed him today and he is 83 pounds, so he has put on quite a bit of weight since we got him. His hooves look so much better too. I ended up going with an antibiotic and koppertox for 5 days and everything is growing out nicely.

As for the attitude, it has gotten SO much better,thanks to the advice here. Here is what I did (based on suggestions):

1. No more petting when he is butting the gate. I wait until he is done, then click and pet, and click and give him a treat. The gate butting has nearly stopped.

2. When I am in there with him, I am being very firm. I hold him on a leash and when he stops raring, pushing and pulling, I click and give him a treat or scratch. He has become much more cooperative.

3. No more scratches on the head, only chin, he now lays his head sideways to be scratched and closes his eyes.

4. No more fear. I have decided he was feeding off my fear of him. I go in there like a boss and he gets nothing from me until he behaves. I do not let him pull his feet away when I’m trimming, I hold on tight.

I feel like he is learning, he’s a smart boy. And much calmer. He’s going to be ok

2. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    That's fantastic! It's amazing how well animals can cooperate when they know what is expected of them and that good behavior = good rewards. Nice work!

MadHouse, mariarose and Breezy like this.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  4. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

And I want to thank YOU for your hard work, and for listening, and most of all for the update. Well done.

Breezy and MadHouse like this.
  5. elvis&oliver

elvis&oliver Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Pa
    You’ve given him a life he wouldn’t have had and my hat is off to you! I hope he continues to move forward for you and he keeps getting healthier. Good luck with him and his future breeding in your herd:)

Breezy and MadHouse like this.
  6. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas
    A Llama is a good idea. Maybe a small donkey. We have 4 mini donkeys with our goats and we also have Alpaca. Our goats are calm do the Alpaca are fine with them but would not be if they were aggressive, they would not be. Alpaca are too gentle and small. Llama, however, are much larger and can gold their own.

Breezy likes this.