Crazy buck

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by TCOLVIN, Oct 31, 2020.

1. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    My billy about 4 years old now has started acting crazy. All my nannies are pregnant but he don’t care. He has butted gates open to get close to pasture where the nannies are at the moment and then Thursday evening he went thru 3 gates and let all the nannies out. I have fixed gates in the last 3 weeks and have figured out if I can leave a little slack in them it kinda acts like a shock absorber and he doesn’t get a direct hit on it. Thursday evening he broke open 2 gate (all interior gates thank goodness) and let the nannies out. I had to chain the bottom and top of gate and I stretch a rope across the front of it. This saved the gate Thursday night and Friday, Friday night. It just makes it triple aggravating at feeding time in the mornings and evening s. The rope gives him problems because he can’t get a solid ram to it. Tomorrow I am adding or extending my electric fence to cover this gate. How long will this rut thing last? Any idea what I can do? He is a very healthy buck and throws good solid kids, doubles and trips. I really don’t want to get rid of him. ???

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  2. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Unfortunately this rut thing lasts all winter, at least for my buck.
    Lets hope he settles down a little for you!

Moers kiko boars and Sfgwife like this.

3. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Thanks, that’s something to forward to. I had set some booby traps for him one day last week and it stopped him for a short while only. I set up a pitcher of water just balance to where when he hit the gate it would dump the water on him. He ran out to pasture and when it dried he went back to butting the gate.

4. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Hee hee, that would have been funny to see! Too bad the effect didn’t last.

5. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

The number of kids has to do with the doe not the buck. ;). The hot fence is a good plan. Does he have a friend with him? Maybe he needs one. Most likely you still have at least a few months left of rut. I wonder if you gave him (if he is horned) something wider than the gate attached to his horns could he not butt it and break it open. Also... can you move him farther away from the does. Like no way can he see, hear or smell them at all.... kinda making it to him like no does were on your property far away. I know our bucks are much much less dumb fighting goobers when they are far enough away that they cannot see, smell or hear our girls when in rut.

Damfino, GoofyGoat and MadHouse like this.
  6. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Yes older bucks seem to get more frustrated. Can I suggest toys? Ok..(mind out of the gutter..) Big physio balls to ram. Big tractor tires to climb..wooden spools to climb. Stairs to go up & down. He has too much time on his hands. They need someway to get rid of that energy. I've even hung cowbells off of a chain.on a gate..so he could play with them.
    I have 3 bucks I keep together. I keep toys so.my boys dont beat each other up.

7. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Yes he has a wether that stays with him. I had 2 wethers with him but he was always bullying him so I took that whether out and put with the girls.

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  8. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Seems 4 years old is the magic number for over zealous bucks. They tend to get more aggressive and hard headed. Not all..but most. Hot fence might do the trick. Extra chains on fence for security, toys for entertainment is always helpful. Going to be hard since his job is done for the season..unless you know anyone needing a breeder. Maybe lease him out if you find a good situation for him.

9. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    The gates are 12 and 15 foot wide, I don’t think that would work, but on another thought, if it where something soft and pliable but tough. A 2 -3 foot piece might work. An idea though. Thanks

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I find if at all possible, giving them a bath and getting a lot of that stink off helps calm them.
    Putting Vics vapor rub around the nose may help as well.

Sharing a fence line or gate to the does will cause problems the farther away the boys are to the girls the better.

11. alwaystj9

alwaystj9 Active Member

Apr 10, 2019
    Zachary, Louisiana
    I leave my buck with the does until 2 months to kidding. Then I pull him out and tie him on an over head line in the front corner of the yard, does your buck tie out? I use new rope each year and a bicycle inner tube so he can pull and pull. He also can reach a tire swing that he beats on and plays with. I leave him out there 24/7 until he quiets enough to move back in his pen, usually 2 - 3 weeks. I also lead him with a halter and keep a cane in hand. The halter gives me lots more control. On nice days he gets tied out after that, then spends nights in the pen.
    I have also had 2 bucks (in 30 years) go bat$h!t crazy and just go down the fence line, breaking off posts and one rammed holes into the barn. They each went to the sale the next possible day, facilities are expensive. Good luck and wishing you a short rut!

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  12. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    No I have not tied him out. I think he would hurt himself if I tied him. I have moved him in the south pasture and girls are in north pasture. There is a pasture in between them now, but my pasture rotation is coming up this weekend and I’ll will switch them, girls to south and buck and whether to north, keeping them some what separated, even thou he was supposed to be in the center pasture.

13. Michaela Van Mecl

Michaela Van Mecl Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    LOL! I love this

14. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    He is better now. I moved him further away from the girls. This weekend is pasture move so he will go where they have been and they will go where he is at now.